A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Dual Boot PRO as a repair tool

Forum rules
This forum is meant for support of PRO Software only. PROnetworks reserves the right to edit any topic title to better explain the contents of a post. We also may move your post to a more suitable forum if necessary.

It may take our support staff up to 24 hours to respond to your problem. We appreciate your patience.

Dual Boot PRO as a repair tool

Postby RichardInSF » Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:36 am

I bought the product because a friend's HP Pavilion dv2600/Vista 32bit laptop won't boot. The hard disk appears to be readable if I boot from a Vista recovery disk I made, but the boot recovery says there are no problems, yet the restore doesn't help.

A forum somewhere said the next step was to play with bootsect.exe, which I don't have. However somewhere else said it came with your product. So I bought your product, but no bootsect.exe.

OK, no big deal, your tools are probably better -- except I need to make a bootable image (.iso?) to use on the broken computer. How do I do that? I tried dumpting the entire DualBootPRO directory to a DVD, inserting it, and executing DualBootPro.exe, but that didn't work. I assume some file handles are wrong having dumped it that way.

So my question is: could the tool help or did I just waste $9.95? If so, how I do get it going and helpful?

I know, I know, a newbie question. I am by intent NOT a Windoze hacker but I want to make my friend happy on this occasion!

Thanks,
Dick
PRO New Member

Re: Dual Boot PRO as a repair tool

Postby Grav!ty » Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:42 pm

Hey Dick, DualBootPRO is designed to be a user interface to the command line tool bcdedit.exe and to make it easy to dual boot multiple Windows operating systems. It's not going to do what you want it to.

Send your purchase information to us via this contact form and request a refund. Include a link to this thread of yours and let's see if we can a refund to you.

http://www.dualbootpro.org/index.php/contact/

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby Grav!ty » Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:49 pm

As for your HDD boot problem, boot to your Windows Vista DVD and at the same place as the repair function, select the command prompt. Type Bootrec.exe, and then press ENTER and then run these commands in the order given.

bootrec.exe /FixMbr

bootrec.exe /FixBoot

Reboot and see if you are able to now boot to Vista.

Let us know the results and we'll take it from there.

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby RichardInSF » Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:48 pm

Alas, if I but had a windows Vista DVD! This was an HP laptop that came without one and there aren't any in the house -- gonna try to scrounge one somewhere. HP is out of recovery discs as well for that model. The hard disk seems OK, I can read files by loading the recovery software I downloaded, so it must be Vista that was corrupted.

As Vista is no longer on sale, it seems really annoying if what I have to do is reward Microsoft by buying Windows 7 upgrade.

Edited to add: Whoops, didn't realize that was on the recovery disk. Tried it and it worked. Thanks!!!

Even though I sent you my refund information that was great, keep the $9.95 as a donation!!!!
PRO New Member

Postby Grav!ty » Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:36 pm

Glad that got you going again. Thanks for letting us know ^*^

PROfessional Member

Return to PRO Software