A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

I'm back, 2 years on and Triple booting again!

Forum rules
Please start your own topic for support with problems you experience. Even if it appears to be exactly the same as someone else's problem, system configurations differ significantly. Thank you.

It may take our support staff between 24-48 hours to respond to your problem. We are a small business and strive to answer your questions as soon as possible. We appreciate your patience.

I'm back, 2 years on and Triple booting again!

Postby eskimosound » Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:35 pm

OK Guys, you helped me last time and Im at it again!!

See here: can-someone-walk-me-through-this-set-up-please-tri-boot-xp-vista-32-64-bit-t102276.html

A triple boot, on three seperate hard drives, XP 64bit, Vista 64bit and Seven 64bit... and well its all working except I cannot boot in safe mode (F8) is not and option when booting from the drive with XP on it and every so often,urm about one in 5 boots, the system just hangs...
So I have Vista as my master, then seven then XP..

Can you help me with the hang and work a way of booting XP in safe mode, I need to uninsatll an Anti Virus prog...

Other than those quite minor problems, Im loving it.. :)
PRO Level 2

Re: I'm back, 2 years on and Triple booting again!

Postby Grav!ty » Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:36 pm

Select the Windows XP entry but do not press Enter yet. Place a finger of your left hand ready to rapidly and repeatedly press F8. With the right hand press Enter and immediately start rapidly and repeatedly pressing F8. This will take you to a menu which gives you the option to boot to safe mode.

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby eskimosound » Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:42 pm

I thought you were pulling my leg!!
Thanks that worked.. :)

Any idea about the hanging?

The comp just displays a black screen and doesn load an OS, Wista is the default and it happens every 5 powers ups or so...
PRO Level 2

Postby Grav!ty » Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:00 pm

How long have you had that installation of Windows XP running? Windows of all flavors gets to be real cloggey with use over time. I use XP daily (the best Windows OS ever in my opinion :) ) and reinstall totally every six months or so, after backing up my data. You can try one of the freebie "Windows XP crap cleaners" (I think one has that name), but personally I don't like what they do with the registry.

If you decide to go the reinstall route, let us know and we'll run through the steps that you need to take before hand.

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby eskimosound » Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:27 pm

Its a brand new fresh install, I took a week to bleach all 3 HDD's then installed all the OS's in the correct order as yep like you say XP corrupts after about 3 months, Vista after about6/8 months and & seems to be buggy to start with, just becase of Adobe and 64bit...
Last time you told me what boot files I should have on each hard drive, so could you tell me again?
I know the problem is with Vista Boot Pro.... I have never had a hanging proplem untill I installed it...
PRO Level 2

Postby Grav!ty » Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:14 pm

Are you using a pirated copy of VistaBootPRO? Where and when did you get it?

PROfessional Member

Postby eskimosound » Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:13 pm

I downloaded it years ago from this site when it was free and you didnt need a license. I have noticed that you now have to pay for it and I think I am also right in that you cannot alway download from your website.

PRO Level 2

Postby Grav!ty » Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:48 pm

Thanks for confirming that eskimosound, there was no malice intended by my question. I just needed to make sure you didn't perhaps have a pirated copy that was infected with a trojan or a worm.

VistaBootPRO downloaded from our site, cannot cause any hanging of a system it is installed on. It is merely a user interface to the command prompt based boot system tools that are installed by Vista.

The boot system files for Vista are the file bootmgr and the folder Boot (plus contents). The folder Boot contains the BCD (boot configuration data store).

The boot system files for XP are the files boot.ini, ntldr and NTDETECT.COM

All these items (for both operating systems) need to be on the root of the HDD/partition tagged (System) as per Disk Management. By root of the HDD/partition I mean not in any folder but directly on the drive as you see it when clicking on the drive icon and letter in the left hand pane of Windows Explorer.

Where are these items currently located on your system? Remember that you need to set Folder Options>View to "Show hidden files and folders" AND uncheck "Hide protected operating system files" to be able to see them.

PROfessional Member

Postby eskimosound » Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:10 pm

Its OK, you helped two years ago... I would buy the new version if I could iron out these probs, the hanging is most un nerving. I will check where the files are and get back to you... im a bit busy at the mo... thanks for your help so far and I know we can nail this :)
PRO Level 2

Return to Windows Boot Problems