A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Tricky Upload Speed Problem

Tricky Upload Speed Problem

Postby Firestar207 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:19 am

Hey everyone, I've tried to solve this problem myself for about a week and have gotten nowhere. I decided to register to this site as I really hope some of you smarter guys know what im dealing with here. Hopefully you guys can help me solve or at least point me in the right direction. I am not sure how long ago this started because of how it was detected. Here's how i found my problem:

I logged onto Xbox live, everything was normal. Logged into a game and started playing. About 1 minute in, it slowed to a crawl, stopped and booted me from the game. I thought that was strange, so I changed games. Logged in, same thing happened. After some digging around, I did some speed tests. I would get usual results then every 5 minutes or so my upload would drop like a rock. Then, in less than a minute it would go back t o normal. It continues to do this constantly. Heres the test block.
My speed is usually around 1.50 - 0.70 Mb/s download, 0.30 - 0.20 Mb/s upload.

At first I thought it was my router so I unplugged it and hooked the cable directly from my computer to the modem. That didn't change anything so I thought it might be my computer I did virus scans, clean ups, etc. Next I brought over my sisters laptop, it was bought last month so I knew there wouldn't be anything wrong with it (compared to my 6 year old XP desktop) and hooked up the wire directly to the modem. I did the speed tests from the laptop and I got the same results. Just as a check I hooked up my Xbox to the modem directly and got cut out the same way. (played for a bit, then lost game connection) I know that losing connection is happening during the upload drops, but what is causing them, and can I get it back to my normal, consistent speed?

So this is what I have so far. If I have the upload drop on my desktop, laptop, and the Xbox the problem would be in the modem or back, right? I have almost zero skills at this kind of thing. Sorry for making this post so long but I wanted you guys to know what I know so far.
Ill post/edit anything else if I have forgotten it in this post.

Thanks
PRO New Member

Re: Tricky Upload Speed Problem

Postby shreader » Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:09 am

Who is your ISP?
Software Director

Postby Firestar207 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:07 am

My ISP is Sasktel
PRO New Member

Postby shreader » Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:28 pm

I googled the name, found a couple of posts.

Hopefully someone here can help you.
Software Director

Postby Grav!ty » Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:34 pm

I think the best thing to do is to contact your ISP. It would only be those who actually use the same ISP that would have any idea what their procedures or policies are. We don't have many members from Saskatchewan.

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby Firestar207 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:12 pm

ok thanks guys. I was going to do that next I just thought I would check here first.
Wish me Luck!
PRO New Member

Return to General Windows Support