A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

10 years of folding!

Forum rules
Welcome to our modest though robust team of folders! You are all more than welcome to join us or ask specific questions about how to go about folding but please start a new thread to post your questions, this way nothing of importance will be lost and everyone here will help you out.

If you just want to chat folding then the Folding@Home Home thread will be great!

10 years of folding!

Postby augie » Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:28 pm

It’s with great pleasure that I announce that today is Folding@home’s official tenth anniversary. It’s been an amazing 10 years, especially in terms of what we’ve collectively been able to do, and my team and I are grateful for all the contributions by millions of people that has made this possible. If you’re curious to see what we’ve done so far, please check out our Results section or Diseases FAQ. In particular, we're very excited about recent work on protein folding, which could radically reshape how people think about folding (leading to recent awards).

Behind the scenes, we’ve been planning some 10 year celebration activities, including a new client, better client software feedback of what’s going on, some new client surprises through new collaborations, new backend software, and enhanced science via new cores. We’re also pushing to support more hardware, such as new support for OpenCL on ATI hardware (an ATI OpenMM/OpenCL core16 is in internal testing, although it requires the v7 client).

One key big picture goal for this year is our push to try to make FAH much easier, interesting, and fun to use by donors. With a new server backend soon to be in place, we should be ready to scale to much higher levels and we’re excited about what we can do with the combination of a new client that’s easier to run, much more stable backend, and new science in cores A3, A4, 15, and 16.

Finally, amongst some of the surprises are new initiatives that I hope will change how people think about distributed computing. That’s clearly a lot to hope for, but that’s our goal. Sorry for being so coy about this now, but I wanted to let people know there’s a lot going on behind the scenes and we’ll be talking about this more as we announce these initiatives throughout the year.

Vijay Pande's Blog

I hope the last bit means that ATI cards will finally be part of the solution as they are the clear winners in the shaders war, along with price/performance.
Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves. -- Carl Jung

eVGA X58 tri-SLI, i7 930 @ 3.8GHz., Corsair 6GB Dominator, Inno3D GTX470, eVGA260
ASUS P8P67 Pro, i7 2600K @4.60 GHz, 8GB RAM, eVGA GTX 460
Community Director

Re: 10 years of folding!

Postby BILLMCC66 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:19 am

It is truly amazing how much things have changed in ten years of folding.
STILL LEARNING

LOGIC CAN GET YOU FROM A TO B BUT IMAGINATION CAN GET YOU ANYWHERE
PRO Level 8

Return to Distributed Computing