A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Bluetooth problem with Windows 7?

Bluetooth problem with Windows 7?

Postby albchong » Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:11 am

After installing the latest windows update, I've found that windows no longer picks up my microsoft bluetooth transceiver. I know it was working fine before the upgrade as I was reconfiguring my mouse (ms 8000 desktop) just before reboot. I know that the windows bluetooth software is working because it picks picks up my Blue Diamond dongle immediately. To confuse things more my ms wireless entertainment desktop is working fine even though I cannot detect the ms txcvr. :confused

System details:

Acer Aspire X3810 Duo Core E7400
4GB, 1TB, Windows 7 Home Premium, Avast Free Antivirus 5.0.667

I'd be interested to find out if anyone else has the same problem or if anyone know a fix.
PROfessional Member

Re: Bluetooth problem with Windows 7?

Postby gggirlgeek » Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:24 am

Akh! Windows 7 and bluetooth: they broke a beautiful thing.

Interesting that the Diamond dongle is working. Can you tell us the model number so we'll know of another dongle that actually works with Win7? I haven't even gotten that far yet.

About getting the MS mouse dongle to work. It sounds like you need to uninstall the most recent updates. I hope you have backups. Your options:

1.Uninstall the recent updates one by one and see which is the guilty sucker. (Start>Search for: View installed updates.) Leave it uninstalled and report it to Microsoft. If you're having trouble finding the most recent updates use a program called Revo Uninstaller and sort them by date and you'll see your most recent installs. (In the options you'll need to enable "show system updates" and possibly advanced mode.) You may be able to see the updates in Windows Programs and Features uninstaller but it doesn't always, or reliably, show the date.

2. If you have system restore enabled try restoring to the date of the updates. Then reinstall the updates again one at a time.

3. If you created a backup disk image restore that.

4. If you use Erunt to backup registry points, restore to the previous date of the Windows update -- September 17th? Note: if you do this you should still try to uninstall the update(s) first if possible, because the files will still be changed. Only the registry is restored with Erunt. So your computer might not be happy about this.

5. Check for a driver update from the mouse's website directly.

6. See if you have the option for Windows to check for device driver updates enabled and check for an update to the bluetooth driver from Microsoft. (Under the Check for Updates screen click Change Settings>Give me recommended updates the same way.... Then check for updates again.)

7. Search for an update manually on the Microsoft Update Catalog. Use Internet Explorer only and go to http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/Home.aspx

8. If you can't get an answer from the Microsoft support site, you can try a Repair Install, or try a fresh reinstall of Windows after going through the Easy Transfer Wizard to save some of your Windows settings -- Last resort and a pain in the neck!

I feel for you! This is why I choose to stay away from Windows updates for the most part. I regret it every time. When I use them I do a complete backup image using Drive Image Xml or similar program first.

Sorry for the overly detailed answer but I wanted to be helpful to newbies who might read this.
PRO New Member

Postby albchong » Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:40 pm

Thanks gggirlgeek (sorry :oops: typo error), I will give all this a try this weekend. In the meantime I have the transceiver working but not as bluetooth - really strange.
PROfessional Member

Postby albchong » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:02 pm

FYI - Went through all the process. Transceiver is working but not as bluetooth. I think it is working as a standard 2.4GHz dongle rather than bluetooth, because the bluetooth symbol no longer loads with the microsoft transceiver.
PROfessional Member

I found a bluetooth dongle that works with Windows 7!!!

Postby gggirlgeek » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:07 pm

I found a bluetooth dongle that works with Windows 7!!! Just had to share the news. Here it is: http://www.amazon.com/IOGear-Bluetooth- ... roduct_top (are we allowed to post links here?)

If not look for the Iogear GBU421. I found it on Amazon for $13. Make sure you use the latest driver from Iogear's site rather than the included CD, of course. This is standard procedure for all hardware installations.
PRO New Member

Postby albchong » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:37 pm

Wow, that's tiny. I'm going to get one! BTW - Happy New Year.
PROfessional Member

Postby cardinal7770 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:31 am

have a built-in bluetooth in my laptop and a bluetooth dongle in my desktop. Both now work with my iphone and other bluetooth headsets. Here's what you need to do :

- Download the 'Windows Mobile Device Center' ( current version is 6.1 ) which you can download it from http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/ ... nload.mspx
this works for both Vista and Windows 7. I've tried it on both.

- Install the downloaded software but it may not look like it worked on Windows 7 PCs. Vista automatically configures the settings on the bluetooth devices but for those who have Windows 7, here are the things you should do:

- Go to 'Device Manager' from 'Control Panel' -Or- just right-click on Computer Icon and choose 'Properties' and then click on 'Device Manager'.

- You'll see an 'Unknown Device' named 'Bluetooth Peripheral Device'
- Right-Click it and click on "Update Driver Software" -Or- anyway you find it easy to bring up the Update driver window.

- Click "Browse My Computer for Driver Software" button.

- Click "Let Me Pick from a List of Device Drivers on my computer".

- Select 'Bluetooth Radio' from the list if it asked you to select and then in the next window, it will show a list of drivers with Company Names in one list and Drivers in another. In the Company List choose 'Microsoft Corporation', not only Microsoft.

- From the drivers list there may be one or more drivers with the name "Windows Mobile-Based Device Support" with different driver versions. Select one or the latest.
- Ignore any warnings and keep pressing next and then Finish at last. If all goes well, the last screen will show the message that device driver is successfully installed.

Now, after manually updating the driver for your bluetooth device, in 'Device Manager' when you click on 'Bluetooth Radios', it should display one more item which will say 'Windows Mobile-based device support'.

There are few more things that you want to pay attention to. If you have already added the device in your 'bluetooth device list' that didn't work, then remove the device and add it again. After you add it, you might need to restart the computer if it gave you a connection problem error message.

I hope this will help you guys fix your bluetooth problem with Windows 7. Good luck !

Andrew Bevacqua
President
Bevtronics Inc
Mullica Hill, NJ
PRO New Member

Return to General Windows Support