A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

DualBootPRO cant change between Win7 and XP

Forum rules
This forum is meant for support of PRO Software only. PROnetworks reserves the right to edit any topic title to better explain the contents of a post. We also may move your post to a more suitable forum if necessary.

It may take our support staff up to 24 hours to respond to your problem. We appreciate your patience.

Re: DualBootPRO cant change between Win7 and XP

Postby Grav!ty » Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:02 pm

I think the problem is that your System partition doesn't have a drive letter allocated. Your XP boot system files need to be placed there for XP to be able to boot. You will probably find them on the XP partition (boot.ini, ntldr and NTDETECT.COM) and these need to be copied and pasted to the partition tagged (System).

To allocate a drive letter, right click on the small icon at the top part of Disk Management and select "change drive letter and paths......" and then allocate the first drive letter you are offered and make sure sure you do not format when that alternative is offered.

Lets first try that and see where we go from there.

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby Flow123 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:24 pm

you are kidding...for what I bought this programm?

If I want to fix this problem I can use FIXMBR and a win-dvd
But I have no diskdrive...its a subnotebook

And jbullard said that the NTLDR was changed to the new BOOTLDR

I only want do restore "BCD" (see download) DualBootPRO 1.0 to come to XP...and than to do the same from XP to come back to Windwos 7
And not using Windows Boot Manager...Thanks

PRO New Member

Postby Grav!ty » Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:49 pm

If the boot system files of XP are not on the partition marked (System) you won't be able to boot to Windows XP.

See this guide: install-windows-xp-in-dual-boot-with-pre-installed-windows-7-t112568.html

The correct order in which to install Windows operating systems is older first followed by newer so that that the boot system files of the newer picks up the older installation and creates a dual boot menu. DualBootPRO makes it possible to go against that rule.

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby Flow123 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:10 pm

And why I can change/boot the system from win7 to XP and vice versa by using DBP SystemBootloaderInstall?
InstallBootloader on all devices (without this black/white winbootloadermenue at restart)....I think that isnt the right way

I want to do that via CareCenter and load backupdatas.

Please ask one of the software engineers if you dont know how to do

Thanks
PRO New Member

Postby Grav!ty » Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:41 pm

Of course you can do that...provided the boot system files are where they should be and the BCD and boot.ini are correct. Step 1 is to put the boot system files where they should be, after that if necessary we'll fix the BCD and the boot.ini. There are NO shortcuts to what I have been telling you already.

PROfessional Member

Previous

Return to PRO Software