A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

"This file does not have a program associated with it

"This file does not have a program associated with it

Postby Chippychap » Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:49 pm

Hi Guys, the full message is
"This file does not have a program associated with it for performing these actions.
Please install a program or, if one is already installed, create an association in the default programs control panel"
This has JUST started happening when I try to open my folders, "Music, My Documents" etc.
I find I can right click and press "Open" and all is tickety-boo but what has happened?

I'm using W7 Ultimate.
Only big thing I have changed, last night, was to download IE9 and then uninstall it as I didn't like it.
PC has worked fine all day.
Any ideas, I did search the forum using the message but to no avail.
VEGETARIAN = AN OLD ABORIGINE WORD MEANING BAD HUNTER.
PRO Level 7

Re: "This file does not have a program associated with it

Postby Grav!ty » Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:09 pm

IE 9 is a beta program and it's not a good idea to test betas on one's main system. See if you restore your system to a point before you installed IE 9. If not you will likely have to associate each file type that behaves this way with the program of your choice by browsing for it...more on that later if you can't restore.

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby augie » Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:01 pm

Ouch, sounds like IE 9 took over possession of your files. I'll be installing it but on a Virtual machine which won't affect my current install. Was there a screen that asked if you wanted to 'associate files' when you installed it? If so, then after uninstalling IE 9 then those files will be orphaned. Grav!ty has the right solution.
Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves. -- Carl Jung

eVGA X58 tri-SLI, i7 930 @ 3.8GHz., Corsair 6GB Dominator, Inno3D GTX470, eVGA260
ASUS P8P67 Pro, i7 2600K @4.60 GHz, 8GB RAM, eVGA GTX 460
Community Director

Postby Chippychap » Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:20 pm

I restored back one day and, yep, back to I.E.9.
Again uninstalled it via "Add & Remove programmes".
If I click on a yellow folder, i.e. "My Documents" I get a Windows dull "thunk" noise and the above message.
Right click on it and I get the option to "open".
Inside my My Docs are bits and bobs from Office or .avi movies etc. If it is an only file "Word" etc it opens with a left click.
If I have gathered files into a seperate folder then I have to R click.
It doesn't ask "Open with?" just "Open, so it's not asking "what should Windows open tHis with?"
I.E.9 didn't ask me to dedicate files to it or anything else.
Sorry I have explained it so badly.
PRO Level 7

Postby Grav!ty » Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:28 pm

Did you reinstall IE 8 after uninstalling IE 9? If not, try downloading it and installing it. Seems like a simple association of files is not going to fix your issue.

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby Chippychap » Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:25 pm

Reinstalled I.E.8 but problem still persists.
I used the PC for 6-8 hours today, day after I.E.9 and all was well.
When the PC asks me what program I want to open a picture then I know I need "Paint" etc.
WHAT opens a yellow folder?
PRO Level 7

Postby Grav!ty » Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:02 pm

Windows Explorer opens folders...it may just be called explorer.exe. Go to Folder Options and then go to the File Types tab and there you'll find all your file types and can set the defaults of each with what it should open with. I'm working on Windows XP at the moment (the best most reliable Windows yet :) ), but it should be pretty much the same in Windows 7. If you have a problem with my directions, I'll reboot to Windows 7 and check it out from there.

PROfessional Member

Postby Chippychap » Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:44 pm

This is what I am offered in folder options

PRO Level 7

Postby Chippychap » Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:51 pm

If I drag the yellow folder to my Taskbar and pin it to Windows Explorer icon then it will open from that icon.
Go back the long way to the folder and it won't.
PRO Level 7

Postby Grav!ty » Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:40 pm

In Windows 7, go to Default Programs on the start menu or in Control Panel and you should be able to associate the files with a specific program to open them with. I don't see any folders there though but I'm thinking that once you have associated programs with files, you should be able to open the folders in the normal way by double clicking or single clicking or whatever your preference is.

PROfessional Member

Next

Return to General Windows Support