A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

W7 on one HDD, Vista and XP on another HDD

Forum rules
Please start your own topic for support with problems you experience. Even if it appears to be exactly the same as someone else's problem, system configurations differ significantly. Thank you.

It may take our support staff between 24-48 hours to respond to your problem. We are a small business and strive to answer your questions as soon as possible. We appreciate your patience.

W7 on one HDD, Vista and XP on another HDD

Postby SFischer1 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:06 pm

Hi,

I thought I had a good idea as to how to not have any downtime on my very busy HTPC when switching from Vista to "W7".

The Vista / XP HD is messed up with Visa on a Logical partition and XP on a primary partition. Not good as I have started getting failures to resume from hibernation. As an OS reinstall was my best approach to this problem and "W7" is wanted for many reasons, I decided to move to "W7".

I was stalling as my idea was to wipe the system HD and repatriation correctly with primary partitions only. This approach would not allow going back to Vista if I messed up the install.

Then I came up with the idea of unplugging the old system HD and plugging in a new HD. The thought was that unplugging the new HD and plugging back in the previous Vista / XP would allow me to go back and forth.

I have installed "W7" on the new HD, messed up the network selection so I cannot see my other computers, shut "W7" down and removed it's HD.

I plugged in the old Vista / XP system drive and after a BIOS reordering of the boot order am back up on Vista.

I have discovered what appears to be "W7" boot files on one of my HDTV Video HDs, looking at Disk Management, it is Drive 0.

I think that I want to plug the new "W7" HD in so that it is Drive 0 at some point, the HDTV Video HD can be reformatted to remove the "W7" boot files on it.

I think that disconnecting the Vista / XP HD and plugging in the "W7" HD selecting Drive 0 as the first disk drive will allow me to go back to "W7" again.

But I think there is a better way to get ready to switch to "W7" while still allowing me to use the old Vista / XP until then. I do have DualBootPRO installed on XP, but not Vista.

When "W7" is stable with all my HTPC software working properly, the Vista / XP drive will no be used on my HTPC. (Note, I can have both system HDs installed at the same time.)
SHF
PRO New Member

Re: W7 on one HDD, Vista and XP on another HDD

Postby shreader » Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:36 am

My suggestion is to plug both Hdd's in, & install 7 again on the empty Hdd, that way all the drives will show-up on the boot menu & the drive letters will be proper & you wont have that hidden 200MB system drive that 7 creates on a new install.

Thats what I did this weekend & have had no problems, besides using DBP to reset the boot menu time back to 4 seconds, easy.
Software Director

Return to Windows Boot Problems