A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

computer lost hdd,dvds drive and can't restore

Forum rules
Please start your own topic for support with problems you experience. Even if it appears to be exactly the same as someone else's problem, system configurations differ significantly. Thank you.

It may take our support staff between 24-48 hours to respond to your problem. We are a small business and strive to answer your questions as soon as possible. We appreciate your patience.

Re: computer lost hdd,dvds drive and can't restore

Postby scrambledlife » Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:49 am

Grav!ty wrote:It sure sounds like something is totally whacky with your BIOS. When you set the drives in BIOS does it find them and show them?

EDIT: What is your motherboard make and model if the system is custom built or the computer make and model if manufacturer built. I'll see if I can find any info on that error.

it does find bios but when I reinstall or use recovery can not find hdd and when u restart bios r gone and back to take out battery.lol
PRO Level 3

Postby Grav!ty » Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:06 am

I don't know what it could be other than a problem with your image or with the DVD. Something is causing a BIOS reset and it really shouldn't be.

What happens if you install say XP or Vista?

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby Grav!ty » Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:09 am

mmm...your system is probably either an HP or a Compaq right? I'd say check out with them if you system is still under warranty.

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby scrambledlife » Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:46 am

ntyGrav!ty wrote:mmm...your system is probably either an HP or a Compaq right? I'd say check out with them if you system is still under warranty.

no warranty.How about hdd and dvds r gone bad/I think.I tried xp same thing it stopped right after window setup and it said something (sorry) or dll missing from boot.I see the power cables has #s 9,10,11,12 and does it matter what number plugs in to what?
PRO Level 3

Postby Grav!ty » Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:58 pm

Are they SATA or IDE drives? The SATA have a narrow (about half inch wide) cable while the IDE has a ribbon about and inch and a half wide. If it's IDE drives you need to set the jumpers on the front of the drive where the cable plugs in so that you have it set as master or slave. The first drive should be master and that should plug into IDE 1 slot as numbered on the motherboard. SATA drives have no master/slave settings but it's a good idea to start on slot 1 and then slot 2 and so on.

PROfessional Member

Postby scrambledlife » Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:39 pm

I guess next is motherboard right?Could you tell me if new motherboard will solve my problem and what's the best I can get and use the rest of my stuff with it?
PRO Level 3

Postby scrambledlife » Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:03 am

It was a bad and damage motherboard and thank u so much for ur helps as always learned a lot.I have a few ?s I will post at hardware section. thanks again
PRO Level 3

Postby SpideRaY » Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:23 am

This can be solved uising Doug Knox CD/DVD reg fix.

http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/XP_CD-DVD-Fix.zip

SpideRaY
Last edited by Grav!ty on Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Link unrelated to this issue removed
PRO New Member

Postby augie » Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:55 pm

Welcome aboard SpideRaY. :yesnod: We welcome your thoughts on this issue or any other but please read the whole thread first as this issue was resolved by changing out a bad motherboard which a reg fix will obviously not resolve.:)
Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves. -- Carl Jung

eVGA X58 tri-SLI, i7 930 @ 3.8GHz., Corsair 6GB Dominator, Inno3D GTX470, eVGA260
ASUS P8P67 Pro, i7 2600K @4.60 GHz, 8GB RAM, eVGA GTX 460
Community Director

Previous

Return to Windows Boot Problems