A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

computer lost hdd,dvds drive and can't restore

Forum rules
Please start your own topic for support with problems you experience. Even if it appears to be exactly the same as someone else's problem, system configurations differ significantly. Thank you.

It may take our support staff between 24-48 hours to respond to your problem. We are a small business and strive to answer your questions as soon as possible. We appreciate your patience.

computer lost hdd,dvds drive and can't restore

Postby scrambledlife » Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:00 am

I have hp phenom 9550,5120 mb,x64 Windows 7 and after a crash I tried to restore and use the recovery but I can't and I can't reinstall because there is no hdd or dvd drive to find.I can't repair it at startup.I used my external but can't find the hdd to install and won't let me use external drive to use recovery disc.ty
PRO Level 3

Re: computer lost hdd,dvds drive and can't restore

Postby Grav!ty » Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:33 am

I think you're going to have to try a BIOS reset to see if your drives are found again. It's highly unlikely that there's permanent damage as a result of an OS install but the BIOS can quite easily be thrown out of kilter. Hit Del repeatedly when you start your system and then either set to BIOS defaults or preferably to the settings you prefer or had previously.

EDIT: Also, if you have any externals and memory card drives installed unplug them all.

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby scrambledlife » Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:08 am

tx i try it now.
PRO Level 3

Postby scrambledlife » Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:17 am

I did hit the delete and it says ;reboot and select proper boot device.When I hit f10 and @ main page there no drive all says none .
PRO Level 3

Postby Grav!ty » Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:39 am

You have to hit Del repeatedly and rapidly immediately after starting the system to get to BIOS. If you can't, remove the CMOS battery for a minute or so and then plug it back in and that will reset the BIOS to defaults.

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby scrambledlife » Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:24 pm

When I look at the boot section after hitting f10 it shows the the drives but it says ,they r not installed and when I try to reinstall computer can't find the hdd.
PRO Level 3

Postby Grav!ty » Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:35 pm

Did you manage to reset the BIOS?

PROfessional Member

Postby scrambledlife » Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:12 pm

Grav!ty wrote:Did you manage to reset the BIOS?

yes but here is one problem(after hitting f9 ,diagnostic tools) Error Code:BIHO-2.And when I install windows ,computer can't find any dvd drives to continue the installation.
PRO Level 3

Postby Grav!ty » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:45 pm

It sure sounds like something is totally whacky with your BIOS. When you set the drives in BIOS does it find them and show them?

EDIT: What is your motherboard make and model if the system is custom built or the computer make and model if manufacturer built. I'll see if I can find any info on that error.

PROfessional Member

Postby scrambledlife » Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:45 am

This is the motherboard it uses, apparently :

Motherboard
Manufacturer: Asus
Motherboard Name: M2N78-LA and m8530f the rest is at first one.ty
PRO Level 3

Next

Return to Windows Boot Problems