A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Web page refresh "flicker"

Web page refresh "flicker"

Postby Thomas52 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:34 pm

I have a page at http://www.barn.adkins9.net for my "barn cam." (If prompted, "guest" & "guest.) It is set to refresh every five seconds. On one monitor (CRT) the page refreshes with a horizontal line "scanning" from the top to the bottom of the page. On another monitor (LCD) the screen "blanks" then reappears after a second or two, giving it a "flicker" appearance. It there a way to control this effect? - I'd prefer the "scan" to the "flicker," if I can control it.
The second question is: how can I "pre-program" the web page for the guest username & password to be entered & accepted automatically without everyone having to enter it?
"He either fears his fate too much, Or his desserts are small, Who dares not put it to the touch, To win or lose it all!" - James Graham, 5th Earl of Montrose (1612 to 1650)
PROfessional Member
Location: The foothills of the beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Western North Carolina

Re: Web page refresh "flicker"

Postby Grav!ty » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:59 pm

Country living is the best! I'm in an agricultural area south of Johannesburg, South Africa ^*^

I think the best thing to do about the "flicker" is to check with the suppliers of the camera, although personally I'd say there's nothing one can do to prevent the refresh flicker...perhaps if the camera was transmitting at a more rapid rate it would be unseen.

As far as the security setting of your website, post that issue in the HTML, CSS, and Scripts forum and see if anyone can help you there: html-css-and-scripts-f73.html

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby Thomas52 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:05 pm

Thanks for the quick reply. It isn't the CAMERA - I like it fine - but the image varies from one monitor (or system) to the next.
"He either fears his fate too much, Or his desserts are small, Who dares not put it to the touch, To win or lose it all!" - James Graham, 5th Earl of Montrose (1612 to 1650)
PROfessional Member
Location: The foothills of the beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Western North Carolina

Postby Grav!ty » Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:05 am

Let's see if anyone else has any ideas. Are you able to set a faster refresh rate on the monitors you're using? What version of Windows are you using?

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby Thomas52 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:29 am

My personal setting is 60 Hz on an LCD monitor & the OS is XP Pro. My friend has a CRT (refresh unknown,) but he uses XP. The question in my mind is why it appears differently on different systems, or how to optimize the appearance in the html code for the page. On my home system, the image appears, then in 5 seconds or so later, blanks, and the new image appears. On another system, it appears as if a green horizontal line were descending down the screen, "refreshing" the image without any "flicker."
I have the same image set up using an ActiveX format at http://www.adkins9.net/go2/barn with the same name/pw, and I am trying to teach myself some variations on a webcam page design.

Gravity, what kind of results do you get? It's night here, so you only see a faint image of the stall doors lit by the IR lights, but you should give us an idea.
PROfessional Member

Postby Grav!ty » Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:39 am

I see the green line descending down the page at a resolution of 1024 X 768 and a refresh rate of 85 MHz on the "Barn Cam" (1st link at top of page) and no flicker or scan just an even uninterrupted picture on the "wireless network cam" (2nd link just above) both on XP Pro SP 3...my preferred OS :yesnod:

Both images are very acceptable in my opinion :yesnod:

PROfessional Member

Postby Thomas52 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:36 am

Okay, then it's got to be me or my system somewhere. But at least the web pages are good. Thanks.
PROfessional Member

Postby Grav!ty » Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:26 pm

Yeah, it seems very good to me. Glad you're more or less happy with it. Is it for security purposes by the way or some other reason like maybe watching a mare during foaling?

PROfessional Member

Postby augie » Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:41 pm

I get a faint horizontal scan line moving quickly from top to bottom on a 19" widescreen, not at all annoying. Can't help you as I know nothing about these things. Nice horsies. ^*^
Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves. -- Carl Jung

eVGA X58 tri-SLI, i7 930 @ 3.8GHz., Corsair 6GB Dominator, Inno3D GTX470, eVGA260
ASUS P8P67 Pro, i7 2600K @4.60 GHz, 8GB RAM, eVGA GTX 460
Community Director

Postby Thomas52 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:42 pm

Augie: thanks. Gravity: neither of the above, but could be. Actually, it was a combination of a learning opportunity for me & birthday gift for my wife ($88 plus my cheap labor.)
PROfessional Member

Return to General Windows Support