A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Question about netbook

Question about netbook

Postby mooseantlers » Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:35 pm

Bought the wife an Acer netbook earlier this year. 160gig drive, 1gig ram, Atom processor. It came with Win7 basic but was quickly upgraded to Home Premium.

My issue is the SD card reading capability of this thing. One reason we got this thing is to take it on vacation(s) and offload our pictures. The problem is, whenever a card over 512mb is put in, a message comes up saying the card must be formatted before use. It does the same thing when a USB card reader is attached too (obviously).

Is this due to the computer having only 1gig of ram? Is there a setting that can be changed so it'll act normally?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!
PRO Level 4

Re: Question about netbook

Postby mooseantlers » Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:46 pm

I have been able to locate & install a driver for the memory card reader (from the Acer site). The SD card reader works fine with the aforementioned 512mb card (or less) and operates properly with a 4gig SDHC card but will not work with 1gig or 2gig cards (still reports that the drive must be formatted).

- note: All the cards are used in Canon digital cameras so that shouldn't be a problem.

Any ideas or suggestions would be helpful.
PRO Level 4

Re: Question about netbook

Postby yeshuas » Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:34 am

The only thing that comes to mind is that the larger cards just might not be compatable, simply put the computer just might not be able to read any thing larger than the 512 mb. I know that my Dell Axim has limitations when it comes to the size of the SD cards, it may be the case with your laptop as well.
Game Over!!!!!!!!
ASUS Maximus V Gene MB
Windows 8 X64; Windows 7 X64; Windows 7 X86
Intel I5-3570K
16GB Corsair Vengeance Ram
eVGA GeForce GTX 550 TI
Corsair GS700 PS
1TB Seagate SATA 6.0Gb HD
Thermaltake Case
Software Development

Return to Hardware and Customizing