A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Windows 7 and an xp image from Acronis Home 9

Forum rules
Please start your own topic for support with problems you experience. Even if it appears to be exactly the same as someone else's problem, system configurations differ significantly. Thank you.

It may take our support staff between 24-48 hours to respond to your problem. We are a small business and strive to answer your questions as soon as possible. We appreciate your patience.

Windows 7 and an xp image from Acronis Home 9

Postby lilbilly » Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:42 pm

I have 2 partitions on my main drive and I made these before installing DBP. Win 7 is listed first in Disk Management and has drive letter C. The second partition has drive letter D. I loaded a disk image (XP) from Acronis Home 9 on this drive. Acronis asked me where to put the MBR and I put it on the D drive as well. I opened Dual Boot Pro after those actions and it only lists Win 7 on the C drive. I can see the D drive in Disk Management. I was hoping that DBP would just see the D drive and add it. When I boot DBP asks me if I want to load Win7 or if I want to repair it. I don't want to reinstall XP because I did get ax XP disk from the sleazy people that constructed this machine. Please help.
PRO New Member

Re: Windows 7 and an xp image from Acronis Home 9

Postby yeshuas » Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:48 pm

You will need to copy three files from XP partition to the Windows 7 partition that is marked "System, Boot" these 3 files are the ones you need to make sure are on the "partition marked "System, Boot"; NTDETECT.com, ntldr and boot.ini
Game Over!!!!!!!!
ASUS Maximus V Gene MB
Windows 8 X64; Windows 7 X64; Windows 7 X86
Intel I5-3570K
16GB Corsair Vengeance Ram
eVGA GeForce GTX 550 TI
Corsair GS700 PS
1TB Seagate SATA 6.0Gb HD
Thermaltake Case
Software Development

Postby Grav!ty » Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:54 pm

If you can still boot to Windows 7 you will need to make the small 100 MB partition which is tagged (System) visible to XP by adding a drive letter to it...be sure you do NOT format when that option is offered in Disk Management. Once you've done that find the boot system files for XP on your XP partition and copy and paste ntldr, boot.ini and NTDETECT.COM to the partition tagged (System).

Next you probably need to reconfigure your boot.ini so that it points to the correct partition. If you post a screenshot of disk management and the text contents of your boot.ini here, we can help you with that.

Once that is done you will likely need to add an OS with DBP so that your Windows 7 BCD is configured to add XP to the the Windows 7 boot menu and you'll need to select the correct drive for XP. Lets start with the drive letter for the System partition and placing the XP boot system files there and see how you go.

EDIT: Whoops, Daniel I'm going to leave it to you.

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby yeshuas » Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:58 pm

Well he needs to follow a little bit of each of ours, and actually yours is more complete (-:
Game Over!!!!!!!!
ASUS Maximus V Gene MB
Windows 8 X64; Windows 7 X64; Windows 7 X86
Intel I5-3570K
16GB Corsair Vengeance Ram
eVGA GeForce GTX 550 TI
Corsair GS700 PS
1TB Seagate SATA 6.0Gb HD
Thermaltake Case
Software Development

Postby lilbilly » Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:23 pm

I tried to upload the screen capture files I made but it says The file is too big, maximum allowed size is 256 KiB.
PRO New Member

Postby lilbilly » Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:35 pm

The 100 mb partition already exists. It's drive letter is "G". I pasted the 3 files there and then rebooted. I had to use Win 7 disk to repair installation. Now the 100mb system partition has no drive letter.
PRO New Member

Postby lilbilly » Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:50 pm

Maybe this file is small enough
Attachments
Capture ini.PNG
Capture ini.PNG (12.66 KiB) Viewed 4122 times
PRO New Member

Postby lilbilly » Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:55 pm

I gave the System Reserved partition the drive letter "J"
PRO New Member

Postby lilbilly » Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:00 pm

This is screenshot of disk management with new drive letter "J".
Attachments
DiskManagement.PNG
DiskManagement.PNG (14.54 KiB) Viewed 4120 times
PRO New Member

Postby lilbilly » Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:02 pm

I think I am up to date with the info you requested. Sorry about sending them one at a time.
PRO New Member

Next

Return to Windows Boot Problems