A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

System recovery failure

Forum rules
Please start your own topic for support with problems you experience. Even if it appears to be exactly the same as someone else's problem, system configurations differ significantly. Thank you.

It may take our support staff between 24-48 hours to respond to your problem. We are a small business and strive to answer your questions as soon as possible. We appreciate your patience.

System recovery failure

Postby yeshuas » Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:55 pm

This is a Toshiba Satellite A505-S6980 laptop, belongs to a friend of a friend of my sons. You could boot into safemode and work fine etc, BUT when you booted into Windows normally, it would be fine for maybe a minute, but blue screen before you could get into Control Panel, any place else or try to uninstall or disable anything to see what might be at issue with it.

Next I decided to try a system restore from the partition on the harddrive, accomplished by holding the 0 key while booting the computer, it gets to 91% and then after a while it errors. So now it won't boot even into safemode obviously, and when it reboots it acts like it is going to boot, gets to configuring or whatever the registry and then blue screens.

I tried a 40GB HD I have and installed Windows 7 and it worked fine, found all the drivers etc so don't believe it is hardware, although the USB ports are loose.

The HD is partitioned into 3 partitions, first is the system partition which is 1.5 GB, second is where the OS is and is about 450 GB, 3rd is the Recovery partition, forget how big exactly but doesn't really matter.

I pulled the drive and used my external enclosure to connect it to my computer to test it, and found no errors.

I then returned the HD and tried a repair with a Windows 7 disc, couldn't repair the install.

I think the computer is under warranty and advised that they send it into repair, which is what I advised at the beginning and was informed that Best Buy told them it would take a month hence that is why they brought it to me. So I don't want to try to install Winodws off my Disk for fear of voiding their warranty if in fact it is under warranty.
Game Over!!!!!!!!
ASUS Maximus V Gene MB
Windows 8 X64; Windows 7 X64; Windows 7 X86
Intel I5-3570K
16GB Corsair Vengeance Ram
eVGA GeForce GTX 550 TI
Corsair GS700 PS
1TB Seagate SATA 6.0Gb HD
Thermaltake Case
Software Development

Re: System recovery failure

Postby Grav!ty » Sun Aug 15, 2010 4:33 pm

I agree with your assessment Daniel...to send it back for repair so that you don't void the warranty. I'd pull all the data off before though by putting the drive in your enclosure again :yesnod:

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby yeshuas » Sun Aug 15, 2010 4:49 pm

Grav!ty wrote:I agree with your assessment Daniel...to send it back for repair so that you don't void the warranty. I'd pull all the data off before though by putting the drive in your enclosure again :yesnod:

All they wanted off of the computer was some pictures, which I saved to a flash drive before messing with anything or trying the Factory Restore.

I think some how the Restore portion of the drive has gotten corrupted, which is why it doesn't finish or errors out at any rate
Game Over!!!!!!!!
ASUS Maximus V Gene MB
Windows 8 X64; Windows 7 X64; Windows 7 X86
Intel I5-3570K
16GB Corsair Vengeance Ram
eVGA GeForce GTX 550 TI
Corsair GS700 PS
1TB Seagate SATA 6.0Gb HD
Thermaltake Case
Software Development

Postby mnemonicj » Sun Aug 15, 2010 5:05 pm

Sounds like it could be something besides the hard drive that is essential to the system, like the memory. I would recommend running a memtest boot disc on the computer before giving it to Best Buy and it will let you know if the memory is bad.
PRO Level 15

Return to Windows Boot Problems