A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Windows Remote Assistance in Windows Vista Ultimate

Windows Remote Assistance in Windows Vista Ultimate

Postby Computeristic » Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:30 pm

Hi all!

I need to help my friend with a few issues with her computer using Windows Remote Assistance. I have Windows Vista Ultimate and she has Windows Vista Home Premium. Is it possible for me to help her, as I have read elsewhere on the internet that I can't in some other forum.

And is it safe to use Windows Remote Assistance to help my friend or is it NOT recommended?

Any help is much appreciated!

Thanks!
Computeristic.
PRO Level 2

Re: Windows Remote Assistance in Windows Vista Ultimate

Postby augie » Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:43 pm

Hi, there should be no problem at all. Your friend should just have to allow you in the Windows chat program, I forget what it's called these days. :embarrassed: The options were built right in if I remember correctly.

EDIT: OK, it's in the WLM(Windows Live Messenger) menu/ actions and request assistance, your friend has to ask you for help first, accept the defaults and you should be good to go. Just tell your friend when you're in not to touch the mouse or keyboard until you're done, otherwise she'll have to invite you again etc. Yes it's safe.
Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves. -- Carl Jung

eVGA X58 tri-SLI, i7 930 @ 3.8GHz., Corsair 6GB Dominator, Inno3D GTX470, eVGA260
ASUS P8P67 Pro, i7 2600K @4.60 GHz, 8GB RAM, eVGA GTX 460
Community Director

Re: Windows Remote Assistance in Windows Vista Ultimate

Postby mnemonicj » Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:17 am

Your friend can also send a Remote Assistance file to you via e-mail rather than using Windows Messenger. I tried remote assistance with a friend and I couldn't get it to work because of her router settings.

I have wanted to try GoToAssist because it requires the user on the other end to know very little about computers to be able to request assistance and since they only click a link to be connected, it bypasses firewalls and NAT. They have a free trial or you can sign up for a day pass for about $10.
PRO Level 15

Return to General Windows Support