A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Pre Installed 7 & XP Dual Boot No XP

Forum rules
Please start your own topic for support with problems you experience. Even if it appears to be exactly the same as someone else's problem, system configurations differ significantly. Thank you.

It may take our support staff between 24-48 hours to respond to your problem. We are a small business and strive to answer your questions as soon as possible. We appreciate your patience.

Pre Installed 7 & XP Dual Boot No XP

Postby Old Synth Guy » Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:17 pm

I know this is probably redundant, but....I installed XP Pro onto the E partition of a Win 7 (C:) machine. Of course in the XP install all the drives got re lettered, but when I repaired boot for 7 it is fine. Dual boot Pro sees the 2 installs, but XP fails with \ntldr missing. Where, or how in dual boot pro, do I tell it where to put the mbr for XP so it boots when asked? BIOS is set to boot from CD/DVD from all the repairs to 7 (installed XP 6 times, no option to repair).

I'm game, please tell me what to tweak and there I go.

Thanks!
OSG
PRO New Member

Re: Pre Installed 7 & XP Dual Boot No XP

Postby Grav!ty » Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:29 pm

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby Old Synth Guy » Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:44 pm

I've read several of those. I am unable to assign a drive letter to to 100mb partition on the drive. All I have is the 12gb recovery, the 100mb whatever, C: and E:, which is now green (logical) and not blue. None of the xp boot stuff is anywhere visible to cut or paste to the E: root.
PRO New Member

Postby Grav!ty » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:58 pm

Were you able to boot to XP after you installed it? Have you fixed Folder Options so that you can see hidden files and folders and so that protected operating system files are not hidden?

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby Old Synth Guy » Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:39 pm

No, it never booted properly. At the very beginning of first reboot install told me it couldn't find un7zip on C and some OEM thing on D, probably because XP had re lettered those drives on install. Should I try to stretch that E partition back out, reboot, try to assign a drive letter to the other 2 partitions I mentioned THEN shrink and install?
BTW, yes, I have folder options set to see system and hidden files and all I see, even in the root of functional one OS XP pro machines that I have, I don't see ntldr. A search produces 1 ntldr in the system 32 folder, though.
PRO New Member

Postby Grav!ty » Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:54 pm

You have to also uncheck "hide protected operating system files" in folder options.

Unless you manage to allocate a drive letter to the small partition tagged (System) you won't be able to install XP. What error do you get when you try to do that or what is the reason you are unable to? Are you going to Disk Management and then right clicking the little silver drive symbol at the top section of Disk Management?

PROfessional Member

Postby Old Synth Guy » Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:10 pm

Well, I get the user head gap award for the day, I did NOT have the system files view enabled. So. What happens when I try to add a drive letter on either of the 2 system partitions (1 is Acers, 1 is Windows) the change drive letter is grayed out. I even open the computer management with a right click and run as administrator. Is something protected somewhere I can switch off? This is 7 Pro. Is there something wrong with the E; drive being marked logical? I can stretch that out, try to assign the drives and start over, this machine isn't critical for daily use yet.

Thanks Again
OSG
PRO New Member

Postby Grav!ty » Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:48 pm

Boot to Safe Mode by repeatedly pressing F8 when your system starts up and then see if you can add a drive letter to the small system partition. Making the Acer partition visible by adding a drive letter is not recommended.

PROfessional Member

Postby Old Synth Guy » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:20 pm

OK, No go on trying in safe mode. Can't I just delete that 102mb partition, and for that matter the 12gb Acer partition? I have the disks if I really screw this up.

I've searched and no one seems to be able to add a drive letter to this system partition. On old beta 7 systems, yeah, but not lately. Unless there's some defeat MS freeware out there.
PRO New Member

Postby yeshuas » Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:20 am

When you log in are you logging in with a login name and password so you are an administrator, if not add a password to you account and see if that helps you to change/add a drive letter
Game Over!!!!!!!!
ASUS Maximus V Gene MB
Windows 8 X64; Windows 7 X64; Windows 7 X86
Intel I5-3570K
16GB Corsair Vengeance Ram
eVGA GeForce GTX 550 TI
Corsair GS700 PS
1TB Seagate SATA 6.0Gb HD
Thermaltake Case
Software Development

Next

Return to Windows Boot Problems