A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Vista / Win 7 freezes during install

Re: Vista freezes during install (within a min)

Postby PHASESHIFTER » Sat Jul 31, 2010 3:49 am

jbullard wrote:Have you tried to use the startup repair function when you get to the install screen? I would use tools like chkdsk. You can also use diskpart to see if there is anything on the disk. I would use diskpart to format it while I was in the repair console then try again. :yesnod:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/libr ... 6465(WS.10).aspx

Update: I have tried with Windows 7 and it also either freezes or gives me an unable to complete instalation" error, and instructs me to reboot. I really don't get it.

The hard drive is brand new, and was formatted multiple times. It's completely empty.

Could anyone explain to me why a win. XP installation would work but not Vista/7 ?
PRO New Member

Postby PHASESHIFTER » Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:45 am

Ok. The only common denominator here is that Vista and 7 are DVD's and XP is on a CD. So the most logical conlcusion is that there is something wrong with my drive.

However. I don't beleive in coincidences. So I can't help wondering why my old hard drive failed while at the same time, my CD/DVD drive suddenly developped an allergy to DVD's.
PRO New Member

Postby PHASESHIFTER » Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:26 pm

Update:

Bought a new optical drive. Tried to install, installation STILL freezes.

So by elimination.

-It's not the discs. They are both pristine

-It's not the optical drive. Ithought it might just have trouble reading VD'S since XP worked. But the brand new one still can't get me to install Vista or 7.

-It's not the hard drive. It's brand new and formatted, and installing XP on it works fine.

What in nine hells can cause a PC to freeze while installing an OS, when there isn't already an OS on it, and all the parts involved in reading/writing from the disk work fine? :bashhead

God someone help me.
PRO New Member

Re: Vista / Win 7 freezes during install

Postby PHASESHIFTER » Sun Aug 01, 2010 1:07 pm

Update.

Ran a memory check. Went through 9 passes, no errors found.

So:

-It's not the discs.

-It's not the optical drive.

-It's not the hard drive.

-It's not the RAM.

I think this is one of those "your PC will never work again but you'll never know why" moment.

Any ideas?
PRO New Member

Previous

Return to General Windows Support