A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Win7/XP not dual booting

Forum rules
Please start your own topic for support with problems you experience. Even if it appears to be exactly the same as someone else's problem, system configurations differ significantly. Thank you.

It may take our support staff between 24-48 hours to respond to your problem. We are a small business and strive to answer your questions as soon as possible. We appreciate your patience.

Re: Win7/XP not dual booting

Postby Bradster » Sun May 23, 2010 3:48 am

NT50 wrote:If you come up with an hal.dll error or ntldr error then somethign is wrong with the boot.ini. If may be confusing due to the fact of the RAID. You may try changing the boot.ini to different rdisk(#s) due to fact BIOS may be seeign the rdisk as a different # than what Windows is reporting due to the RAID.

I'd like to chime in and say that changing the rdisk(#) worked for me in a limited fashion. 'Limited' from the standpoint that I've gone from the "missing or corrupt ntdlr" message to approximately 1 second of XP booting- then a brief BSOD and the PC automatically resetting.

I have a feeling this might have more to do with my fiddling with the partitions after moving from XP to 7 last year than a problem with DBP and/or the boot.ini file, but I'm not sure what to do short of blanking the drive and starting over from scratch.
PRO New Member

Re: Win7/XP not dual booting

Postby brayanaustin » Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:28 am

boot.ini points to ensure good locaton of XP. Insert your DVD Windows 7 boot and do a Startup Repair. It can take two hours to begin repairs.
PRO New Member

Previous

Return to Windows Boot Problems