A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

two separate Windows 7 OS' on one hard drive?

Forum rules
Please start your own topic for support with problems you experience. Even if it appears to be exactly the same as someone else's problem, system configurations differ significantly. Thank you.

It may take our support staff between 24-48 hours to respond to your problem. We are a small business and strive to answer your questions as soon as possible. We appreciate your patience.

two separate Windows 7 OS' on one hard drive?

Postby atlanta30338 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:57 pm

Just bought the product today based on the following problem:

I have a Windows 7 64 bit laptop running fine. I would like to take an image of that install (the OS, apps, etc.) and install it on another partition on the same machine so that it dual boots into either one. I am doing this so I can do testing without killing my original build. Most important, I don't want either build to know that the other exists so that both can be the "C" drive. I know how to image with either Ghost or Acronis True Image but have never done a dual boot machine before or laid down an image in another boot able partition.

I bought dualboot pro today based on people telling me all I needed was that and Acronis (which I already purchased).

I first had windows shrink my 500GB drive into two 250GB drives on an existing windows 7 install on the drive. Then I used acronis to copy all of the data from the first 250 to the 2nd 250. I then used dualboot pro to give me two boot options. Both boot fine but any changes I make to the desktop of the first windows install show up when I shutdown and boot into the 2nd windows install. They both need to be using their own "C" drive so any help is appreciated!
PRO New Member

Re: two separate Windows 7 OS' on one hard drive?

Postby NT50 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:30 pm

Oosh

I will point this one to Jason. Never heard of this.
Dogs Have Owners; Cats Have Staff
PROfessional Member

Postby jbullard » Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:49 pm

atlanta,

The very first thing that I would say is to review this thread as myself and one individual got what you want to do working once. It is a very difficult process and although DualBootPRO has certain features that are used there are other issues you will run in to. Please do note that he was using Norton Ghost and not Acronis so some things may be different.

The only method that we found to actually get this working is to use the Windows DVD to do a startup repair which will then fix issues at a lower level. Things like disk signature, hidden partitions, etc can all be corrected but it is a lengthy process and requires other tools like Diskpart.

So, my first question is how comfortable are you with running DOS commands and possibly corrupting your current installation? If you aren't comfortable with either one of those I would not do it. However, if you still want to I would suggest using Virtual PC to do a test run prior to actually performing this on your rig. I can run you through the steps. :yesnod:
VP - Software

Postby atlanta30338 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:31 pm

Very comfortable. Thanks!
PRO New Member

Postby jbullard » Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:45 pm

Ok. Good.

Do you have the 100MB hidden partition or do the boot files reside on the Windows partition?
- Open Disk Management and if the drive contains a 100MB system partition then you have the hidden partition (makes things much easier)

I will have to download and install Acronis to help walk you through the process so it may be Saturday before I can actually type up the steps for you if that works?? If not, I can explain the process and you will have to translate those into steps for Acronis.
VP - Software

Postby NT50 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:47 pm

Remember the Ventrillo Jason if needed.
Dogs Have Owners; Cats Have Staff
PROfessional Member

Postby jbullard » Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:47 pm

Oh yeah, thanks for the reminder. I had forgotten about it. lol
VP - Software

Postby atlanta30338 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:42 pm

Where do I get a refund for dualbootpro? This has turned into a nightmare. If you go to:

http://www.dualbootpro.org/index.php/si ... tures_list

It says "Install multiple Windows OS's". Not really true because I have spent hours trying to do it. I bought the corporate version and no phone support? Thanks!
PRO New Member

Postby jbullard » Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:11 pm

atlanta,

I just replied to your PM about the refund and your particular problem. One thing that you must understand is that you are dealing with two types of software. The first is DualBootPRO and we will support the application and any problems you are having with the best solutions and updates (if need be). We offer free technical support to a wide variety of other software to include Acronis which is the second type of software. What you are looking to do is not meant to be done with either software and to include Windows operating systems.

However, I have no problem helping you out but I won't be available to walk you through all three pieces of software until 7PM EST. If that does not suit your needs then we will be more than happy to issue you a refund. I will also still be able to walk you through doing this without DBP because we still offer free support to anything dealing with technology but I still won't be available until 7PM EST. :yesnod:

Thanks,
Jason
VP - Software

Return to Windows Boot Problems