A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Need help w.r.t. DualbootPRO...

Forum rules
This forum is meant for support of PRO Software only. PROnetworks reserves the right to edit any topic title to better explain the contents of a post. We also may move your post to a more suitable forum if necessary.

It may take our support staff up to 24 hours to respond to your problem. We appreciate your patience.

Need help w.r.t. DualbootPRO...

Postby karunvs » Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:34 pm

Hi,

I need help. Yesterday I bought and installed "DualBootPro". I have 64-bit windows 7 installed on one partition and 32-bit XP installed on another. I wanted this s/w to recognize and allow me to boot from either of these OSs. It doesn't. So please help me.

I paid for the s/w thru Paypal.

Thanks
PRO Level 2

Re: Need help w.r.t. DualbootPRO...

Postby jbullard » Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:13 pm

karunvs,

I removed your contact information to prevent people maliciously using it. If we need it then we will send you a PM asking for it. :yesnod:

What order did you install the operating systems?

If you installed XP after 7 then this will be the issue; however, it can be fixed pretty easily. If 7 was installed after XP then you can simply click on Diagnostics -> Run Diagnostics and it should locate and add XP to the boot menu.
VP - Software

Postby karunvs » Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:36 pm

Thanks for the quick reply and removing the contact info. I appreciate that.

Well, I had installed Windows 7 64-bit first and then installed XP 32-bit on another partition.

Thanks
PRO Level 2

Postby jbullard » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:00 pm

No problem.

Alright, so what you will need to do is follow the below instructions. Start at Creating a dual boot menu using DualBootPRO.

install-windows-xp-in-dual-boot-with-pre-installed-windows-7-t112568.html
VP - Software

Postby karunvs » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:21 pm

Well, I followed the instrcutions and everything went Ok EXCEPT that s/w shows just Windows 7 selection; no XP or legacy entries and of course when I restart it boots straight to Windows 7 64-bit home premeum

No Win XP entry. By the way, when I said I installed XP, what I did was restored from disk/partion image that I had backuped.

So, still need help
PRO Level 2

Postby jbullard » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:28 pm

Ok, so what you will need to do now is add the XP entry into the boot menu. To do this you will need to go into DualBootPRO under the Manage Entries screen. You should see a checkbox for adding a new entry - select that. Type in a description, select XP (might say legacy also), then select the drive letter. I will get the link to the other guide and post it here because you might need it too. It will walk you through moving some needed files. :yesnod:
VP - Software

Postby jbullard » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:31 pm

Here is the other guide just in case you get the NTLDR missing error during boot.

guide-ntldr-windows-xp-alternative-method-t96291.html
VP - Software

Postby karunvs » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:57 pm

well,

the 3 files that are mentioned(boot.ini, ntldr and ntdetect) are NOT in the windows 7 partition BUT they are already there in the XP partition which I has restored from image backup.

so we are missing something here. ANy further help?

Thanks
PRO Level 2

Postby jbullard » Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:03 pm

Have you added the XP entry using DualBootPRO? If so, then try and reboot to see if you can boot into XP. If not, then depending on the error it should be fixable. It is very hit or miss when dealing with restores from images. :yesnod:
VP - Software

Postby karunvs » Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:11 pm

I am back.

Well, I added the OS entry but still no luck. Any other suggestion. Or may I just have to live with Windows 7

Thanks
PRO Level 2

Next

Return to PRO Software