A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

XP home + win 7 pro best practice

XP home + win 7 pro best practice

Postby moviememe » Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:24 pm

Hi,
I just purchased and am trying to figure out the best practice.

My end goal is my existing XP install onto a new computer on one hard drive, then two installs of win 7 pro64 bit on a second hard drive.

the plan is to

1. make a bootable xp image from the old computer and put the new drive into the new computer.

2. install second hard drive and reinstall Win 7 from scratch if necessary. Then if I make it that far, install a second install of window 7 on same second drive.

I have the OEM disks for both XP and Win 7.
A new install of XP is not an option because of one program that requires online activation from a company that has since gone out of business - the reason I am doing this.

The best approach would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Gavin

What are the best practices/guides
PRO Level 2

Re: XP home + win 7 pro best practice

Postby shreader » Sat Jul 10, 2010 7:33 pm

I'm not sure about #1 as far as guides go but you can look over at the GUIDES section & maybe find what you need.
Software Director

Postby yeshuas » Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:03 pm

Making an image of XP onto a DVD or whatever probaly won't work unless the new computer has the same motherboard, CPU etc as the old computer, it may ask or tell you at bootup that you are missing drivers etc and let you install them, but I doubt it.

As far ast installing Windows 7 twice as you propose, that should work however
Game Over!!!!!!!!
ASUS Maximus V Gene MB
Windows 8 X64; Windows 7 X64; Windows 7 X86
Intel I5-3570K
16GB Corsair Vengeance Ram
eVGA GeForce GTX 550 TI
Corsair GS700 PS
1TB Seagate SATA 6.0Gb HD
Thermaltake Case
Software Development

Postby moviememe » Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:19 pm

Thanks for the replies,
any thoughts on the likelihood of success in pulling the xp hard drive from the old computer and putting it onto the new one as opposed to going with an image? It's an IDE drive, but my new motherboard supports it.

I have exactly one orphan program that has to stay with this particular xp install.

If I can't get the existing xp install onto the new computer, it looks from the guides the best practice is to install XP from scratch first and then win 7 second from scratch?

As far as the dual win 7, am I better off with two physical hard drives as opposed to a partition?

thanks again,
Gavin
PRO Level 2

Postby yeshuas » Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:00 am

Even moving the harddrive to the new computer will be the same as putting an image of it on another harddrive or partition, so you will have to more than likely install XP new or fresh.

Having an IDE drive in the mix sometimes causes issues, I think you will be alright as long as it is first in the list, "Drive 0" and I would load XP on it first, and then Windows 7 on the new Harddrive.
Game Over!!!!!!!!
ASUS Maximus V Gene MB
Windows 8 X64; Windows 7 X64; Windows 7 X86
Intel I5-3570K
16GB Corsair Vengeance Ram
eVGA GeForce GTX 550 TI
Corsair GS700 PS
1TB Seagate SATA 6.0Gb HD
Thermaltake Case
Software Development

Return to General Windows Support