A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Unhandled exception

Forum rules
This forum is meant for support of PRO Software only. PROnetworks reserves the right to edit any topic title to better explain the contents of a post. We also may move your post to a more suitable forum if necessary.

It may take our support staff up to 24 hours to respond to your problem. We appreciate your patience.

Unhandled exception

Postby billdren » Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:16 pm

Using Dual Poot Pro, I am attempting unsuccessfully to install Windows XP Pro/32 bit to dual boot with Windows 7/64 bit where the latter is already installed. I followed the steps enumerated in the DualBootPro Guide.
1- I have an empty hard drive on this computer which I set aside to load Windows XP
2- I instaled Windows XP Pro on the above drive. I installed the chipset drivers for this motherboard (Supermicro X6DA8-G2) as well as other drivers to clear the Device Manager list.
3- I downloaded and installed DualBootPro and opened it.
4- I ignored the prompt to backup the BCD and proceeded to select the System Boot Loader tab, selecting the Windows 7 Bootloader and All Drives radio buttons.
5- I clicked Install Bootloader and it completed OK.
6- I next clicked Run Diagnostics on the Diagnostics menu bar.
Here the program hung with an error message:
Unhandled exception etc.
Object reference not set to instance of object
7- I clicked continue and the hour glass appeared permanently
8- I x'ed out to clear the desktop and rebooted.
9- Windows 7 booted OK
I tried this three times with the same result, reloading XP from scratch each time and wondering each time if I was going to get Windows 7 back. Fortunately I did.
Have you something to suggest?
PRO New Member

Re: Unhandled exception

Postby yeshuas » Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:09 pm

Did you have the Harddrive with Windows 7 on it plugged in while you were installing XP? And if so After you installed XP were you able to boot into it?

If you unplugged the Windows 7 drive while installing XP then you have some other steps that you have to do with both drives plugged in.
Game Over!!!!!!!!
ASUS Maximus V Gene MB
Windows 8 X64; Windows 7 X64; Windows 7 X86
Intel I5-3570K
16GB Corsair Vengeance Ram
eVGA GeForce GTX 550 TI
Corsair GS700 PS
1TB Seagate SATA 6.0Gb HD
Thermaltake Case
Software Development

Re: Unhandled exception

Postby jbullard » Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:05 pm

Check out this guide (guide-ntldr-windows-xp-alternative-method-t96291.html). It will explain the files you need to move in order to get XP working. :yesnod: Thanks for letting us know about the error. We will get that fixed.
VP - Software

Return to PRO Software