A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

adding /USEPMTIMER to Vista

adding /USEPMTIMER to Vista

Postby Caatalyst » Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:12 am

Hey guys,

I'm experiencing issues in some 3D apps using Vista and my AMD Turion x2 2.2ghz CPU. I get minor juddering and slow motion lag all the time. I've found if I disable one of the cores in task manager that it removes the slow motion but drastically reduces FPS as its only clocked quite low. I've read around that this is a bug with alot of AMD processors and the way around it is to install the new optimizer AMD have released for the processors. The problem is after downloading and installing it nothing actually seems to happen. I've read somewhere that I need to either Input

/USEPMTIMER

or remove it but I'm finding it hard figuring out how to because I've never used Vistabootpro or BCDEDIT. It was much simpler in XP to just implement it into the Boot.ini. Is it possible someone could tell me how to safely implement or remove the line into Vistabootpro or BCDEDIT safely in simple form :)?

Many thanks,

James
PRO New Member

Re: adding /USEPMTIMER to Vista

Postby NT50 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:48 pm

Below is a link to Technet bcdedit command line options.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/libr ... 10%29.aspx
Dogs Have Owners; Cats Have Staff
PROfessional Member

Postby Caatalyst » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:11 pm

Hey,

the only thing in there that seems relevent to adding this line of code is -

/create
Creates a new entry in the boot configuration data store. If a well-known identifier is specified, then the /application, /inherit, and /device options cannot be specified. If an identifier is not specified or not well known, an /application, /inherit, or /device option must be specified.

but which identifier needs to be used?
PRO New Member

Postby Grav!ty » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:47 pm

At the command line type bcdedit /enum and that will list all your identifiers and then you should be able to see which one is for your OS. You can type bcdedit /? for a list of all commands.

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Return to General Windows Support