A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Network printer will not print until spooler restarted

Network printer will not print until spooler restarted

Postby Stukindaguy » Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:18 am

Hey all,

So I have a printer, a Lexmark X1150, hooked up to one of my machines, lets call it PC1. There are 3 other computers in the house that print to it. 2 are desktops, one is a laptop. They are all running Windows 7 Professional 64 bit including PC1, except one of my other desktops which is running 32bit. When I try to print over the network, the job shows up in the print queue as "Printing" but nothing happens, no error messages, nothing. However, after I restart the Print Spooler service, all of the queued jobs will start to print.

PS: When I print something directly from PC1 and not over the network, it prints immediately, no problems.

Thing I have tried so far:

1. Reinstall printer drivers (on both PC1 and the client machines)
2. Delete system32/spool/printers (as recommended by a microsoft employee on a different forum)
3. Tried disabling spooling and setting to "Print directly to the printer"
4. Set to render print jobs on the client computer

All of these give the same result as my initial problem. Number 3 also has the side effect of not properly printing on PC1 either. (The printer undocks the cartridges, then docks them right away without pulling any paper in and my printer driver declares "Printing Complete")

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance. :yesnod:
-Stu

Asus P5Q Deluxe
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550
Sapphire Radeon HD 4870
6GB Corsair Dominator 1066MHz DDR2
Creative Soundblaster X-Fi Titanium
PRO Level 12

Re: Network printer will not print until spooler restarted

Postby Stukindaguy » Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:52 am

Just a hopeful bump :)

Problem not resolved in any way lol, and I have also tried a repair Windows 7 install (by doing an in place upgrade from within Windows)
-Stu

Asus P5Q Deluxe
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550
Sapphire Radeon HD 4870
PRO Level 12

Postby NT50 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:06 pm

I ahve seen this before and never did get it resolved. I ended up reinstall Windows for them. they had some bad viruses and spyware on the system.
Dogs Have Owners; Cats Have Staff
PROfessional Member

Postby Stukindaguy » Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:41 am

well I can pretty much guarantee that this PC is completely spyware and virus free. I would really like to not do a clean install of Windows...every time I do it takes the better part of a week to get it running the way I like it again. As I stated I did do a repair installation. The reason for the repair installation had nothing to do with the printer problem, it was because Office 2010 failed to install giving no error number. That problem was fixed by the repair but the network printer problem still exists...thank you for the reply though ^*^
-Stu

Asus P5Q Deluxe
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550
Sapphire Radeon HD 4870
PRO Level 12

Postby KR9141 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:20 pm

This may seem simplistic but what is your PRINTER PRIORITY. I have had this problem and everything tested normal but it would not start until I restarted the computer. This change seems to have fixed it.
PRO New Member

Return to General Windows Support