A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Dual Boot win7 and win XP Probleme

Forum rules
This forum is meant for support of PRO Software only. PROnetworks reserves the right to edit any topic title to better explain the contents of a post. We also may move your post to a more suitable forum if necessary.

It may take our support staff up to 24 hours to respond to your problem. We appreciate your patience.

Dual Boot win7 and win XP Probleme

Postby Alphapoint » Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:30 pm

Heloo there
first of all , i would like to say , that this software which thay call it ((DualBootPRO 1.0)) , is a dam stupid software , you will ask me why Right ?? , ok
if you asked me why ? then i will say that i buy this software just because i want it to do one thing .... only one thing , and its not doing it !! :eek:
i think that this software created to help End-users to make a dual Boot OS win 7 and win xp (easly, smothly and without any dam Copy and past for i dont know what files -- boot.ini or ntds orany others things ) ,
But eveytime i try to install a new OS win7 and XP , i back to the same dam Loop .... copy that , copy this , edit that edit this ..... :confused , and the questin is
( Why ???!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ) , why i buy this software ?!! , it suppost to make everything Automaticly , not manualy ..!!! , i mean thats why this software created ,
am an end user , stupid end used , i dont know sh*t about PC`s and these things .... so everythime i need to install anew OS , i need to come here and ask for help ?!!
Oooh god ... help me in this .... any why , thats what i think about this software ... but i need to make a Dual os Win7 and XP , so i have to back to this page to fine the help again (like always) :dontgetit
so please any one who can help me , slowly , and in an easy why please , do , her is my senario ,
1) i instal window XP at my D:\ drive ... everything was good .
2) i hnstall windows 7 at my C:\ drive ... everything was fine too (i format C:\ drive while installing win 7) if this help .
now i have nothing like Boot.ini , or nts or i dont know what else (i dont remember what els you need me to copy , and from where to where ) , i have the Golding great software (DualBootPRO 1.0) ... so can this help me and do the whole worK ? ....... help please .
PRO New Member

Re: Dual Boot win7 and win XP Probleme

Postby shreader » Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:56 pm

DBP is a BCD editor.

If you want to install XP w/ Windows 7 you will need to do a few things yourself.

Check this guide to make your task easier.

Dual Boot Trouble Shooting Guide - XP / Windows 7 Running
Software Director

Postby NT50 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:09 pm

Alphapoint wrote:(i format C:\ drive while installing win 7)

Did you delete the partition and re-create it and then format or did you just format. It would be helpfull to see a snapshot of yoru Disk Manager also.

Remember that ntldr and NTDETECT can be copied form the Windows XP disk. Boot.ini can be created with a text editor like notepad.exe.
Dogs Have Owners; Cats Have Staff
PROfessional Member

Postby Alphapoint » Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:26 pm

Heloo
thanks for reply so quick man ,
here is an images to show everything i have , C:\win7 , D:\winXP and my Drivers manager ,

Disk managment :

C:\ Drive , where my windows 7 is , (As you can see , no ntldr, NTDETECT, and boot.ini ) .

D:\drive , where my windows XP is, (As you can see , no ntldr, NTDETECT, and boot.ini ) .

please help , i have to finish this soon , because i have to instal ORACLE Databse on my XP , ( i have to study and apply what i take in my DBA Cours ) .

Greeting,
Alaa
PRO New Member

Postby NT50 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:34 pm

OK I see you have one hard drive....

1. Locate your XP disk and search and loacte the files ntldr, NTDETECT. Copy them to the root of drive C: while in Windows 7
2. Open notepad or soem text editor and create a new file. Copy and paste the below to that file and save it as boot.ini in hte root of drive C: while in Win7. Make sure it does not have the .txt extension on the end of it as it will not work then.
Code: Select all
[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP" /NOEXECUTE=OPTIN /FASTDETECT

Once that is done open DualBootPro and add an entry for Windows XP (Legacy OS) to you menu listing point to drive D:

Reboot and hopefully that will work. The reason I say HOPEFULLY is you have XP installed on a logical partition. It is NOT wise to install operating systems on Logical partitions If it does nto work as a logical then you will need to convert it or use Win7 to delete it and recreate a Primary partition. Of course you will loose WinXP.

Edit: Just saw your boot.ini in the root of drive C:. Make sure it has the below correctly in it.
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP" /NOEXECUTE=OPTIN /FASTDETECT
PROfessional Member

Postby NT50 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:38 pm

I noticed you online, I made several edits so it woudl be wise to refresh page.
PROfessional Member

Postby Alphapoint » Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:59 pm

Heloo my friend

am compleatly hopless now ,
i cant find ntldr, NTDETECT anywhere !!! , what to do ? :no

and about instaling windows XP on logical partition , what is that mean ? , and how to fix that .... am ready to do anything at the moment , am soo much tierd and i want to finsh everthing today , pleae help . :unsure:
PRO New Member

Postby NT50 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:13 pm

The files ntldr and NTDETECT are located in the i386 folder on your Windows XP cd-rom.

Logical... when you create this partition you created it as a logical. It needs to be created as a primary partition. I "THINK" GParted Live CD will convert the partition. But remember, everything "MIGHT" be lost when doing so.
PROfessional Member

Postby Alphapoint » Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:41 pm

Man
thank you Very Very Very Very Very Very Very Very much , i am really greatfull from what you did ,

Everything is working fine now , and it never work well if you did not help ^*^
so its all because of your GREAT help .... ^*^

God Plus you man, :angel:
Greeting
Alaa
PRO New Member

Postby NT50 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:12 pm

Glad we could assist you.
PROfessional Member

Return to PRO Software