A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Chrome vs Firefox (handling MS Office Live on SkyDrive)

Chrome vs Firefox (handling MS Office Live on SkyDrive)

Postby alonsogar » Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:14 am

I am actually trying to migrate from FF to Chrome, but I recently stumbled upon a problem. Since Google Docs is still messing up the formatting for some MS Word documents, I am actually storing some on SkyDrive and viewing them as I need to. This thing came up though. Apparently in Chrome, MS Office Live gets quite laggy and slow. The scrolling takes forever (scrolling a doc up and down) and sometimes the scrolling bar, along with the document, will freeze for a couple of seconds. Using Firefox however, the scrolling of the document is smooth, perfect and effortless. Is there a reason for this? Why is it that FF handles this so well over Chrome? Many Thanks beforehand.
PRO New Member

Re: Chrome vs Firefox (handling MS Office Live on SkyDrive)

Postby Gandy1980 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:17 am

i think Chrome better than FF!

watch Bombay Bicycle Club clips - abcmuzic.com
Last edited by Gandy1980 on Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
PRO New Member

Postby alonsogar » Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:30 am

Gandy1980 wrote:i think Chrome better than FF!

Also think so --- but I'm curious as to my question :eek:
PRO New Member

Postby jbullard » Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:04 pm

Well, this is what I found out: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/08/11 ... _or_opera/

Doesn't look like there is any official support because of the rivalry between MS and Google. However, I'm sure Google will broaden its support once it has a firm grasp on how to do so.
VP - Software

Postby alonsogar » Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:42 am

Actually, that was back then-----

Now, what Chrome does, is that it "pretends" to be Safari, and it does work (buggy) with the mentioned.
PRO New Member

Postby jbullard » Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:53 am

Well, the only thing that Chrome does is mask itself as Safari in order to give you access to office live. Whether or not Chrome (or office live) has the supportability is another. Basically, as you said is that it "pretends" but that is it. One thing to note is that any browser can any browser name but it is still up to how the original browser interprets the code. If that makes sense. So if I send Safari to Office Live I am still executing code as Chrome and not Safari.

Unfortunately, the only thing I could say to do is get with Google. I searched their help forums and you would not believe the amount of issues that Chrome has with Office Live. Wish I could have been more help but when it comes to browser interoperability there is little that we can suggest except to not use that browser. One of these days we will have one standard for the way browsers interpret all the code. :yesnod:
VP - Software

Postby jbullard » Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:55 am

Actually, this little plug-in might solve your problems: https://chrome.google.com/extensions/de ... mmjbdenadd

It uses the Internet Explorer ActiveX to execute the code but it is within Chrome. Nice little trick if I might say so myself. :yesnod:
VP - Software

Return to General Windows Support