A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Trying to revive old laptop

Trying to revive old laptop

Postby mnemonicj » Sun May 23, 2010 11:21 pm

I have an old HP laptop with a 1.7 GHz processor, 1 GB of RAM, 100 GB Hard drive, etc. that I want to revive to provide to someone as a web browsing computer. I tried to put Windows XP on it several times, but I keep getting errors when the install disc is transferring the files to the hard drive.

Initial install was with the original hard drive, original DVD-RW drive, and CD-RW Windows XP Pro install disc - errors
Second install was with the original hard drive, original DVD-RW drive, and CD-R Windows XP Pro install disc - errors
Third install was with the original hard drive, External USB DVD-RW drive, and CD-R Windows XP Pro install disc - errors
Fourth install was with a replacement hard drive, original DVD-RW drive, and CD-R Windows XP Pro install disc - errors

Now, I am thinking there could be something wrong with the memory. It could be as bad as the memory controller or the hard drive controller though and then it would not be worth fixing.

Let me know what you think. TIA!
PRO Level 15

Re: Trying to revive old laptop

Postby yeshuas » Mon May 24, 2010 12:25 am

Have you tried removing and reseating the memory, check to make sure all the screws on the bottom of laptop are tight as well, also see if maybe a key on the keyboard may be stuck, another thing you may try is remove and replace the harddrive.
Game Over!!!!!!!!
ASUS Maximus V Gene MB
Windows 8 X64; Windows 7 X64; Windows 7 X86
Intel I5-3570K
16GB Corsair Vengeance Ram
eVGA GeForce GTX 550 TI
Corsair GS700 PS
1TB Seagate SATA 6.0Gb HD
Thermaltake Case
Software Development

Re: Trying to revive old laptop

Postby mnemonicj » Mon May 24, 2010 12:54 am

Thanks for the idea of reseating the memory Daniel, I forgot that could be an issue. I will add it to my list of things to try. The hard drive has been removed and replaced several times, so I know it isn't that. I am also going to run Memtest which should show any memory or memory controller issues.

EDIT: Just started the Memtest and already have 776 memory errors even after reseating the memory. It is two 512 MB sticks, so I will try and see if one is good and one is bad. Hopefully it isn't the memory controller.

EDIT #2: One of the sticks is bad, but the other one is good. Replaced the bad 512 MB DDR266 stick with a good 512 MB DDR333 stick and running a test to make sure both sticks in the laptop are good now. Then, on to the Windows XP install!
PRO Level 15

Return to Hardware and Customizing