A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Vista VBP USB-HDD getting this to work

Forum rules
Please start your own topic for support with problems you experience. Even if it appears to be exactly the same as someone else's problem, system configurations differ significantly. Thank you.

It may take our support staff between 24-48 hours to respond to your problem. We are a small business and strive to answer your questions as soon as possible. We appreciate your patience.

Vista VBP USB-HDD getting this to work

Postby OMFGWTF » Thu May 20, 2010 6:15 pm

My problem: Vista. I need to rebuild the partition table so that I can boot into vista, or whatever it is.

I am trying to use VistaBootPro to fix the problem but the problem is VistaBootPro doesn't allow me to select which drive I want to use to find the Vista OS. It automatically checks MY hard drive instead of the hard drive that I want it to look at.

How can I get VistaBootPro to look at the hard drive that I have connected via USB.

Or is there a better program to fix the problem I am having.

Tried: Partition Table Doctor(doesn't fix it) ; GetDataBack for NTFS(sees all the files) ; VistaBootPro(doesn't even look)
PRO New Member

Re: Vista VBP USB-HDD getting this to work

Postby shreader » Thu May 20, 2010 7:42 pm

Have you tried a startup repair using the Vista DVD?

If not try that if you have a Vista DVD.
Software Director

Postby NT50 » Thu May 20, 2010 10:24 pm

It is not wise to boot to a USB hard drive with Windows installed on it. I have not seen anybody here successful in getting it to run properly.
Dogs Have Owners; Cats Have Staff
PROfessional Member

Postby OMFGWTF » Fri May 21, 2010 3:43 pm

I am not booting up from USB. I can't boot from sata. The partition table is missing or corrupt. I don't know much about the structure of a HDD or the file systems. I do know that I can repair the boot sector and partition table if I had the information I needed to fix it or how to fix it but that I don't know. Every program I use to do it automatically doesn't work. I don't want to toss the HD because I think it might be saved if I format and reinstall but I don't know until I format it or fix it manually.

I've already backed up the entire drive so at this point I am not worried about losing any information, I just rather not have to format, reinstall, get drivers, transfer files.. too long. Plus I already have to make a second backup.

Any idea on how to recreate the partition table and possibly boot sector manually.
PRO New Member

Postby NT50 » Fri May 21, 2010 8:58 pm

Below is a link to Microsoft for bootrec commands. If they do not work then the harddrive may be in big trouble either mechanical or virus
Dogs Have Owners; Cats Have Staff
PROfessional Member

Return to Windows Boot Problems