A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Where can I get bootsect.exe for reinstalling Windows XP?

Forum rules
Please start your own topic for support with problems you experience. Even if it appears to be exactly the same as someone else's problem, system configurations differ significantly. Thank you.

It may take our support staff between 24-48 hours to respond to your problem. We are a small business and strive to answer your questions as soon as possible. We appreciate your patience.

Where can I get bootsect.exe for reinstalling Windows XP?

Postby JimSFBA » Mon May 17, 2010 11:08 pm

I installed Windows 7 operation system on my pc which ran on Windows XP. The new operation system disappoints me on the time to open a file. It used to take only a second or a fraction of a second in XP, but it takes 30, 60, even many more than 60 seconds in Windows 7. This is the reason I am trying to go back to Windows XP. I have read the guideline for this reinstalling procedure, which requires bootsect.exe to prepare the boot information on my boot drive.

Question is that where do I get a copy of this software since I do not have this software on my Windows-XP CD giving to me when I bought this pc from Dell 4 years ago?

By the way, why Windows 7 is so slow in opening a file, or changing from a folder to another?

Jim Lee
PRO New Member

Re: Where can I get bootsect.exe for reinstalling Windows XP?

Postby yeshuas » Mon May 17, 2010 11:29 pm

Sounds to me like you have some driver issues going on, as Windows 7, at least in my experience is as fast or faster than XP.

Have you gone to Device Manager to see if all you drivers are up to date and that there aren't any flags conflicts or incompatabilty going on.

Go to Start and type Device Manager, and then click on the listing that appears
Game Over!!!!!!!!
ASUS Maximus V Gene MB
Windows 8 X64; Windows 7 X64; Windows 7 X86
Intel I5-3570K
16GB Corsair Vengeance Ram
eVGA GeForce GTX 550 TI
Corsair GS700 PS
1TB Seagate SATA 6.0Gb HD
Thermaltake Case
Software Development

Postby JimSFBA » Thu May 20, 2010 3:08 am

Yes, the slow response of my PC operaing on Windows 7 is due to an old driver which was used for my old standard VGA graphic device. Recently, I added a new graphic PCI card to replace the old device, but I did not disable the old driver. Following your suggestion, I found a flag from the device manager. After disabling this old driver, the response time has greatly improved. Thanks a lot. Now I change my mind. I have No need to reinstall XP.
PRO New Member

Postby yeshuas » Thu May 20, 2010 3:14 am

My advice is to delete the old driver if you have that option and get rid of it completely, and then make sure you have all the newest Windows updates installed for especially Hardware etc,
Game Over!!!!!!!!
ASUS Maximus V Gene MB
Windows 8 X64; Windows 7 X64; Windows 7 X86
Intel I5-3570K
16GB Corsair Vengeance Ram
eVGA GeForce GTX 550 TI
Corsair GS700 PS
1TB Seagate SATA 6.0Gb HD
Thermaltake Case
Software Development

Postby JimSFBA » Thu May 20, 2010 3:48 am

That is a good advice. I could have deleted it instead of disabled it. Now, it is working all right, and I should delete it completely. I have no other incompability issues, and all drivers are checked with the most recent versions. Windows update is also set up to perform automatically.

Thanks again for your advices.
PRO New Member

Return to Windows Boot Problems