A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Media Center Extender

Media Center Extender

Postby jmurr » Thu May 06, 2010 5:39 am

Does anyone know of a way to get Lynksys Media Center Extender DMA 2100 to work with Windows 7?

TIA for any help.
Jim
PRO Level 3

Re: Media Center Extender

Postby yeshuas » Thu May 06, 2010 11:45 am

What is it not doing, are you not able to connect it, are you not able to share files, are you not able to stream video, what is it you are not able to do, and/or what is it doing?
Game Over!!!!!!!!
ASUS Maximus V Gene MB
Windows 8 X64; Windows 7 X64; Windows 7 X86
Intel I5-3570K
16GB Corsair Vengeance Ram
eVGA GeForce GTX 550 TI
Corsair GS700 PS
1TB Seagate SATA 6.0Gb HD
Thermaltake Case
Software Development

Postby jmurr » Sat May 08, 2010 3:36 pm

I have been trying to set up a Lynksys DMA2100 Media Extender on my Windows 7 Home Premium system. The Extender is wired to my ATT 2 wire modem/router. When I enter the 8 digit code into Media Center I receive the error “cannot set up Extender”. If I go to Network Sharing Center> see full map the extender is there. I have disabled windows firewall and connected the extender to my computer in order to bypass the ATT Router with the same negative results. I am at a loss, Lynksys Tech. Support’s answer was to install Vista :-(

Any help would be appreciated.
Jim
PRO Level 3

Postby jbullard » Sat May 08, 2010 5:24 pm

Well, I haven't seen anyone be successful in this venture. One of the MS guys states that it was compatible with 7 back in October; however, looking at the compatability page, it says differently.

Also, according to multiple sources, LinkSys has already discontinued this product over a year ago so for them to actually build firmware updates for it to support Win7 is highly unlikely. I would say if you recently purchased the product...return it and look at other alternatives. If not, then I don't know what else you can do. :no
VP - Software

Postby yeshuas » Sat May 08, 2010 6:14 pm

yep, I was foolish enough to buy one of Linksys's original ones for Window MCE back in 2005 and it barely works with XP MCE and not with any of the newer versions at all. From what I have been reading the same is true with the DMA2100 as well as it only works with Vista, and as Jason says it is doubtfull that Linksys will come out with a firmware update to make it work with Windows 7
Game Over!!!!!!!!
ASUS Maximus V Gene MB
Windows 8 X64; Windows 7 X64; Windows 7 X86
Intel I5-3570K
16GB Corsair Vengeance Ram
eVGA GeForce GTX 550 TI
Corsair GS700 PS
1TB Seagate SATA 6.0Gb HD
Thermaltake Case
Software Development

Return to General Windows Support