A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Clone HD But is Dual-Boot(Slave)

Forum rules
Please start your own topic for support with problems you experience. Even if it appears to be exactly the same as someone else's problem, system configurations differ significantly. Thank you.

It may take our support staff between 24-48 hours to respond to your problem. We are a small business and strive to answer your questions as soon as possible. We appreciate your patience.

Clone HD But is Dual-Boot(Slave)

Postby electman » Sat May 01, 2010 11:57 pm

I have two separate hardDrives,Dual-Boot.....Primary(c:) is on a 40 gig(Windows 2k Pro)..
Slave is on a 80gig(windows XP Home).. I want to Clone the Windows XP to a 320 gig .I have two programs that will Clone ,Copy Commander 7 and Acronis which is on the XP.What I want to end up with is .......cloned Primary(c:)320gig,.....take out 40gig and use as a extra(somewhere else)
.........put "old"80gig(with " old original XP" in drive bay and leave it unhooked from power and EIDE cable for a Clone backup. My reason for doing this is to clone my HardDrive because it is about full and I NEED to keep my information.I want a large HardDrive with only ONE usable drive don't need win2k (older windows) ...Another Question is there going to be a problem with XP being the Slave originally?
........................................... DELL2k(c:) partition basic NTFS Healthy(System)
..... DELLXP(d:)partition basic NTFS Healthy(Boot)
Comment, This is such a GREAT WEB SITE!
THANKS and have a great productive day....boot loader]
timeout=5
default=signature(d34fd34f)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
signature(d34fd34f)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn
PRO New Member

Re: Clone HD But is Dual-Boot(Slave)

Postby NT50 » Sun May 02, 2010 12:18 am

DualBootPro will not do you any good with XP and Win2000.....

As for cloning, Insert the 320 gig (as slave if IDE) and clone your XP to it. After cloning disconnect the other hard drives and reboot, et your 320 gig to master is IDE, reboot. If it does not boot insert the XP disk and goto the recovery console and type fixmbr and that should repair the MBR for that disk. Once done you can then insert your older hard drives as slaves...........
Dogs Have Owners; Cats Have Staff
PROfessional Member

Postby electman » Sun May 02, 2010 8:44 pm

Thanks for your quick reply. I tried doing what you said . Sorry but I could not get it to work. now I am getting a error message of no boot disk found I must have done something wrong/. Could you please tell me how to get out of this mess. THANKS again.
PRO New Member

Postby NT50 » Sun May 02, 2010 9:01 pm

If you cloned your XP to the 320 gig and your XP says it was drive C, then you should be able to insert the XP disk, go into recovery, and do a fixmbr. Make sure the 320 gig is set as the boot drive. You coudl also try to do a Repair......
Dogs Have Owners; Cats Have Staff
PROfessional Member

Return to Windows Boot Problems