A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Home Networking

Home Networking

Postby mooseantlers » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:25 pm

Guess i'm too much of an idiot to figure this out.

My computer is running XP pro (with all the updates) and is plugged into the LAN1 port of a BUFFALO WHR-HP-GN IEEE 802.11b/g/n wireless router.

I bought the wife an ACER Netbook which easily connects to the net (thanks again NT50 for the previous help on the router!!). The Netbook came with Win7 Starter, but now is running Win7 Home Premium.

The wife is now shooting pictures and saving them on the netbook's HD. All I want to do is be able to access her photo's (all are JPEG) to create backups, etc.

Like I said, I must be (more than just) a few bricks short in this department. I've been using XP for a while now, and I know there is a learning curve (especially for an old goat like me) for getting used to Win7. When we got the netbook, I did the initial set-up for her. I sure don't recall setting that thing up with any passwords, etc. as i'd probably forget them anyway. It seems like I have to log into this MS Networking (?) - which is a pain - and finally shows her computer!! I'll get prompted for a user ID & password. I swear I didn't do that for the aforementioned reason (i'd forget them). And that's that!

I tried that Win7 'home networking' thing and I guess that's not compatible or i'm not doing something right.

Any help for would be much appreciated.

Thanks!!!
PRO Level 4

Re: Home Networking

Postby yeshuas » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:03 pm

Have you or whomever, shared the folders, and changed the permissions to full control on the Windows 7 computer, that is first.

I know you don't want to create passwords and all but, if you create a user and password on each computer, but make them the same on both it will be easier to share etc.
Game Over!!!!!!!!
ASUS Maximus V Gene MB
Windows 8 X64; Windows 7 X64; Windows 7 X86
Intel I5-3570K
16GB Corsair Vengeance Ram
eVGA GeForce GTX 550 TI
Corsair GS700 PS
1TB Seagate SATA 6.0Gb HD
Thermaltake Case
Software Development

Postby mnemonicj » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:31 am

Also make sure that when you create the user, they are an Administrator. The user does not need to be logged into the PC to access the shared drives on another computer. So you can set up the other user on the netbook, log in once and then never have to log in again. Log in as that person on your XP machine and access the shared folders on the netbook, while the netbook is on, of course. Then you can easily back up the pictures to your computer or an external hard drive.

I applaud anyone that does back ups because I hate hearing people complain about losing really important files and when I ask them if they backed up, the answer is almost always no. Some people think that the best place to store their beloved family photos is on the flash card in the camera. So, when the camera is lost, so are all of their precious memories.

mooseantlers, you are definitely not an idiot. Everyone starts somewhere, and I am sure everyone here is glad that you asked.
PRO Level 15

Postby mooseantlers » Wed May 05, 2010 8:40 pm

Thanks for the info regarding the networking problem. However, I am still still having issues. This is a summary of what i've done:

On the XP machine: I deleted all 'available networks' . . the ones i'd created and didn't work. I 'renamed' this computer, verified that i've got 'file sharing' but I did not assign a user password. And I also created a newly named newtork.

On the Win7 Home Premium) . . aka the 'book' . . after figuring out that the miserable 'homegroup' is only limited to Win7 users, renaming the computer, assigning an administrator password, verified that only user account is admin, file sharing, etc. is enabled. And on this machine, I also created a network with the same name.

My reasoning for doing the renaming and deleting was to make sure that only newly named items would show up on available networks.

So far, I am able to 'see' the both computers as being on this network (using either computer). However, i'm unable to access - what appears to be only the 'shared folders' items. Any time I try to access anything other than shared documents, i'm told that I don't have authorization to access anything else.

What the heck am I missing?

And - as I side note . . regarding backing up photos . . point well taken about leaving them on flash cards. But also remember, hard drives don't last forever, nor do CD/DVD's. Always safeguard your originals & that includes making backups of optical media every number of years (unless you opt for the archival quality discs).
PRO Level 4

Postby NT50 » Wed May 05, 2010 10:05 pm

Do you have the password turn off on you Win7.

Should be under "Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network and Sharing Center\Advanced sharing settings"
Dogs Have Owners; Cats Have Staff
PROfessional Member

Postby mooseantlers » Wed May 05, 2010 10:25 pm

It is set to 'Turn off password protected sharing'.
PRO Level 4

Postby mooseantlers » Mon May 10, 2010 12:30 pm

I'm happy to report that I finally got the netbook to transfer the pics to the desk top!

Again, I was able to 'see' both computers on the network, but unable to access anything. The shared documents folder that the netbook claimed it was accessing (on the desktop) was nothing more than a generic folder of sample pictures. On the desktop, i'd done what I could to 'share' specific folders and/or files but that didn't work. I'd even done reboots on both machines, just to make sure, but it still didn't work. My last attempt was to create the folder for the photo backups & set it as a shared folder (just as i'd done with the others). Within 2 seconds, the folder showed up on the netbook. In less than 5 mnutes, nearly 1gig of backups were done.

Thanks for the help!
PRO Level 4

Return to Hardware and Customizing