A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Problem Printing Email Message w/Pictures

Problem Printing Email Message w/Pictures

Postby bbarry » Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:26 pm

I'm using Windows Live Mail within Win 7. When I send someone an email with an attached picture, the picture also appears inline below the text when the email is received. If the recepient then prints the email, the picture prints fine, but the text print is very small (a much smaller font than in the original email).

I don't recall ever having this problem with Vista and Outlook Express.

Is there a parameter setting that will turn off inline pictures? Thanks..........
PRO Level 3

Re: Problem Printing Email Message w/Pictures

Postby jbullard » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:11 pm

I would say that it is a problem on the recipients end. I use Windows 7 and Live Mail with no problems. :yesnod:
VP - Software

Postby bbarry » Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:41 pm

jbullard wrote:I would say that it is a problem on the recipients end. I use Windows 7 and Live Mail with no problems. :yesnod:

If someone sends you an email with a picture attached, does the picture appear inline with the text on your computer screen in addition to appearing as a JPG attachment (it does on mine using Windows 7 and Love Mail)?

If the picture does appear inline with the text, what happens when you print the email (text and picture)? On my PC, as well as my friends, the text font is small but the picture is normal.

If both the text and the picture print in normal size on your computer and if you go to Internet Explorer 8 and click on File/Page Setup, can you tell me if the "shrink-to-fit' box is checked or unchecked.

Thanks for your response.
PRO Level 3

Postby jbullard » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:18 pm

Yes, the picture display is inline with text as you mentioned. I think IE8 is probably the culprit. I use Chrome and everything appears normal for me. However, I will download IE8 tonight and let you know what happens. :yesnod:
VP - Software

Postby bbarry » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:56 pm

jbullard wrote:Yes, the picture display is inline with text as you mentioned. I think IE8 is probably the culprit. I use Chrome and everything appears normal for me. However, I will download IE8 tonight and let you know what happens. :yesnod:

Jason, since my last email I found out the problem is caused by my emails being sent in HTML format. When that is the case, the pictures are inline with the text as well as appearing as attachmens. If I send emails w/pictures in Plain Text format (an option), then the pictures appear only as attachments.

So I'm satisfied that I found the cause of my problem and a workable solution. Of course, it would be better if Microsoft allowed the user to send HTML messages with the option of showing attached pictures inline or not. Inline can present printing problems.

So please don't download IE8 on my account, and I do appreciate your response. Truth be told, I have so many problems with IE8 that I'm thinking seriously about switching to Chrome. Not a night goes by that all of a sudden IE8 "stops responding" and must be restarted.
PRO Level 3

Postby jbullard » Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:20 pm

Glad you found a viable solution. I normally don't print out emails or pictures so it would not be a problem for me. :yesnod:

When you setup IE8, did you turn on all the gadgets associated with it (i.e. site suggestions, accelerators)? If so, I would remove them if you can live without. I use to have the same problems with IE8. I use IE8 and Chrome on my laptop for development reasons but would stay with IE8 there if I did not need Chrome.
VP - Software

Return to General Windows Support