A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

\ntldr error during boot

Forum rules
Please start your own topic for support with problems you experience. Even if it appears to be exactly the same as someone else's problem, system configurations differ significantly. Thank you.

It may take our support staff between 24-48 hours to respond to your problem. We are a small business and strive to answer your questions as soon as possible. We appreciate your patience.

\ntldr error during boot

Postby ioannist » Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:45 pm

I initially had two installations of XP in C and E, configured on dual boot.

I formatted C and installed Windows 7 on it. I ran dual boot and did the following:
-installed windows legacy bootloader in E in "System Bootloader" tab
-Added new OS entry (Lecacy Windows) for E in "Operating Systems" tab

This is the erro i get when i select the E entry during boot:

\ntldr
The selected entry could not be loaded because the application is missing or cirrupt

I have been through the messages on the board and the two 7/XP tutorials that you have but they do not help in this situation.

Please advise.

Thanks,
Ioannis
PRO New Member

Re: \ntldr error during boot

Postby Grav!ty » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:31 am

Your XP boot system files (ntldr, boot.ini and NTDETECT.COM) were probably on the drive you formatted and installed Windows 7 on. You need to replace them by copying ntldr and NTDETECT.COM from your XP CD and create a new boot.ini using notepad. Then place these items on the root of the partition tagged (System). You may have to unhide that partition by allocating a drive letter to it.

See these two guides:

dual-boot-trouble-shooting-guide-xp-windows-7-running-t112569.html

install-windows-xp-in-dual-boot-with-pre-installed-windows-7-t112568.html

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby ioannist » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:26 pm

tahnsk for the reply!

windows 7 is installed on the system partition (C:)... is it ok to copy windows xp file to a partitioN that has windows 7 installed on it?
i don't want to mess the windows 7 installation up...
PRO New Member

Postby Grav!ty » Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:15 am

Do you have a hidden partition tagged (System Reserved) with no drive letter assigned in Disk Management?

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Return to Windows Boot Problems