A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Install Windows XP in Dual Boot with Pre-Installed Windows 7

Forum rules
Please start your own topic for support with problems you experience. Even if it appears to be exactly the same as someone else's problem, system configurations differ significantly. Thank you.

It may take our support staff between 24-48 hours to respond to your problem. We are a small business and strive to answer your questions as soon as possible. We appreciate your patience.

Re: Install Windows XP in Dual Boot with Pre-Installed Windows 7

Postby ScottGi » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:27 am

Have similar problems. Windows 7 installed, trying to dual boot of XP. Just bought DualBootPro....
Situation:
Windows 7 installed on C drive
Bought additional 500 gig hd yesterday. It is labeled G "drive"]
Tried to install Windows XP Pro on G drive.
Have slipstreamed Windows XP Pro CD with SATA drivers. Slipstreamed XP Pro CD works...it recognizes G drive and
It loads XP Pro files on G drive, however at the end of loading all of the files it asks to reboot.
It reboots and locks up.

I am not able to complete the Windows XP Pro install on the G drive because the systesm will not reboot--- I think the boot files are written over.

Some of these posts mention people who have sucessfully installed XP...and had bootup probs.
Well, this is NOT me. My system never got beyond copying the Windows XP Pro files to the G drive. -It never got to the point of configuring the OS.

Any suggestions? Thanks, Scott
PRO Level 2

Postby NT50 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:06 pm

Sounds to me like the wrong SATA drivers.

Have you tried booting into Safe mode or will it give you that option......
Dogs Have Owners; Cats Have Staff
PROfessional Member

Postby ScottGi » Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:07 am

re: SATA Drivers
No, they are working. The new hard drive is recognized by my slipstreamed XP Pro CD I made per instructions on this website.
It boots the Windows XP Pro Slipstream CD. It Copies the Windows files to the new drive - I can see them if I reboot my Windows 7.

Note: when it installs Windows XP Pro, I can not boot Windows 7 anymore.
To recover the boot files of Windows 7 I must boot to the Windows 7 Install CD and it fixes/repairs it.
Then I can run Windows 7 and look a the drive that Windows XP Pro is on and see the XP Pro Files.

Any suggestions since I can not get XP to complete installing...like I said it copies the files, but when it is done copying the Windows XP Pro files to the new Hard Drive, XP Pro reboots the system to begin installing Windows XP Pro.

Thanks,
Scott
PRO Level 2

Postby ScottGi » Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:38 am

Ok, I just messed around with some settings.
Question: re: DualBoot Pro- Is there an PDF Manual to download for your software?

I just configured DualBootPro so that it uses the C Drive as the boot drive for my XP Pro, even though XP Pro installed on the G drive.
I am assuming that because I copied the boot.ini, ntldr, ntdetect files to the C drive root, that the correct config of DualBootPro is C as the boot drive for my XP Pro Install which is on G.

Is this correct?

Thanks

Scott
PRO Level 2

Postby ScottGi » Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:09 am

OK,
I got XP Installed.
Question: I have two different boot loaders that come up.
Is there a way for me to post pictures here?

One is your DualBootPro Bootloader and the other one after that reminds me of the old Bootloader for XP when I had PM years ago.

Any suggestions for deleting the 2nd Bootloader?

Thanks

Scott
p.s. NOw the hunt goes on for drivers
PRO Level 2

Postby ScottGi » Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:42 am

How do I attach images of the two different boot menus that are showing up...as mentioned in previous response? Thanks, Scott
PRO Level 2

Postby JabbaPapa » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:23 am

Glad you got it set up !!

The second bootloader is a necessary part of XP, and you can't get rid of it -- but what you can do is set the timer to zero so that you never see it.

Run msconfig (in XP), and in the boot tab you should be able to change the time from 10 or 30 or whatever you have now to 0.

Alternatively right-click on My Computer > Properties and look for a similar option in the Advanced tab.
PRO VETERAN

Postby ScottGi » Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:47 pm

Any suggestions on installing XP a 2nd time on another partition on my 2nd drive - G drive?
I need it for a test environment...testing software?

Can I just create another partition on G and run my slipstreamed XP Pro CD?
Will I have to reconfigure the NTLDR and other files copied to the C (Windows 7) root drive to have three OS's on this?

Also, is there a way to make the other OS invisible once the XP Pro OS is booted? I think Partition Magic allowed this back in the old days. It made other drives and partitions invisible based on the boot OS setting?
Thanks
Scott
PRO Level 2

Postby NT50 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:30 pm

Yes you can have multiple installs of XP.

Now I think i found your problem with your installation. PM can cause bad issues with windows and multiboot environments.
Dogs Have Owners; Cats Have Staff
PROfessional Member

Postby ScottGi » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:30 am

I did not use PM....I was just reflecting back on "the old days" with PM....that is all....I was only using Dual Boot Pro.
PRO Level 2

PreviousNext

Return to Windows Boot Problems