A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Need help with web design

Need help with web design

Postby Marine0331 » Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:16 pm

Hello All,
My Friend and I have started our own business and just purchased a domain with Godaddy and will be using them to host it. We need to build our website and get it up and running but have zero experience in doing so. I am good with building systems, installing OS, and apps but have never played with website design so, I need some help. Can anyone steer me in the direction of some tools and advice? I have seen lots of program suites on a google search and need to know what is best for a newbie (preferably free or low cost). Thanks for any help :yesnod:
There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and those who have met them in battle. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion.
PRO Level 3

Re: Need help with web design

Postby imnuts » Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:53 pm

I haven't used it in a long time, but Nvu is a web authoring program similar to Dreamweaver. Not sure how any of the functionality or GUI has changed though as it has been 3+ years since I've used it, but it was good back then, so I can't imagine that it got worse. Bluefish is a similar program. It's gui wasn't as nice or user friendly as Nvu, but I liked it better personally. It is probably meant more for coding though, at least when I used it last (1-2 years ago), it worked better in code view only. Both are free, so you could try either one and see which you like best quite easily. Nvu site and Bluefish site
PRO SUPREME

Postby Malhovic » Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:04 pm

GoDaddy also supplies services for creating websites (a software suite and some other options). Take a look at them.

Other than that, I would recommend Dreamweaver, CoffeeCup, HomeSite and that is pretty much it. Those are the three that I have used throughout my web publishing days. As of now I just stick with Dreamweaver. Expensive at the start but well worth it in the end, IMO.

PROfessional Member

Postby Marine0331 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:27 pm

A friend I spoke with over the weekend suggested front page by MS. He said it would be good for beginners and I can get it from my Technet subscription. What are your thoughts on this program?
There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and those who have met them in battle. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion.
PRO Level 3

Postby NT50 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:03 am

Front Page is ok for begining with.
MS Web Expression is better but not avaible via Technet only MSDN or purchase.
Dreamweaver is still the best tho.
Dogs Have Owners; Cats Have Staff
PROfessional Member

Postby kanaloa » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:25 am

Dreamweaver is the best web design program you can get your hands on, no question about it. If you are just starting off, I'd highly suggest you look for web templates you like and consider purchasing one. Sites like http://www.dreamtemplate.com are excellent places to grab an up to date, professionally coded, website for a relatively cheap price - and at the very least you might find something there that inspires you to design your own site around. If you expect people to take your website seriously, it will need a modern look - don't just start from scratch and create something that screams 1990's - most web users know within a few seconds whether or not they trust the site they are on and what information is has to offer or sell.

Regardless of what program you choose, having a basic understanding of HTML and CSS is important. But Dreamweaver is the best program you can use for web development. If you want to get up to speed on CSS, HTML, or any other Adobe product, I'd suggest the tutorials at Lynda.com. There is a subscription fee, but short of reading countless books (boring) or going back to college (expensive), Lynda.com is the best site for learning a new PC skill. We use it where I work and it's been an invaluable tool for me.
"Greatness is not a function of circumstance. Greatness, it turns out, is largely a matter of conscious choice, and discipline." - Jim Collins
President

Postby Marine0331 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:23 am

Thank you all for your suggestions. I have been checking up and educating myself on the programs mentioned and there is definately alot to learn about web design. The cost is the major factor and dreamweaver seems to be the favorite of everyone so I am leaning in that direction. Ran into an old friend who has an older version of dreamweaver and we are going to give it a try in a few days. Wish me luck and thanks for the help :yesnod:
PRO Level 3

Postby kanaloa » Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:56 pm

Best of luck. ^*^

It can be frustrating when you first start with this... but over time it can become a lot of fun. What started as a hobby for me in 1997 I've made a career out of now. It grew on me :P
"Greatness is not a function of circumstance. Greatness, it turns out, is largely a matter of conscious choice, and discipline." - Jim Collins
President

Return to HTML, CSS, and Scripts