A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

My experience with W7? Disastrous at first but improving

Re: My experience with W7 so far? Disastrous

Postby phileysmiley » Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:44 am

Well I never did get a response from CA but I was able to locate my key and get into my account. When I tried to re-download the product it said my download time had expired. Well, no worries, I have them backed up in my Downloads folder, of course.

I tried to install the first file I found and it said "operating system not supported." Then I saw a more recent file and tried that and it said "operating system not supported." Finally I find a third download and this one asked me if I wanted to install in compatibility mode. Aha! I thought I hit the jackpot. So I went to install it in compatibility mode and, you guessed it, "operating system not supported."

BUT on this third try, I did get an additional dialogue box which said "you're running a 64-bit version of Vista...click here to go to our Vista 64-bit download center for your free upgrade." Awesome, right? So I go there, download the file, and go to install it and I get "operating system not supported."

It turns out that the Vista 64-bit app is not compatible with Windows 7. Wonderful. So my lifetime subscription is no good. On top of that, the products they DO offer have changed. They don't even have a firewall anymore. They only have 3 products: Antivirus with Antispyware (which I don't need), a PC Cleaning bunch of crap, and a Security Suite which is the only product that does have a firewall, plus Antivirus, Antispyware, and crap I don't need.

So even if I wanted to pay for a Windows 7-compatible version of the software it doesn't even exist.

So that issue is resolved -- but the result is that I no longer can use the product after all.
Media Director

Postby Grav!ty » Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:08 am

Try Avast Larry. It works fine and although a freebie, gets a pretty good rating for detection. Free Firewalls are a problem for 64-Bit but I just use the built in Windows one, which is now quite comprehensive.

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby phileysmiley » Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:32 am

Grav!ty wrote:Try Avast Larry. It works fine and although a freebie, gets a pretty good rating for detection. Free Firewalls are a problem for 64-Bit but I just use the built in Windows one, which is now quite comprehensive.

I don't need an antivirus. I've been using NOD32 for years.

I guess the Windows Firewall will have to do.
Media Director

Postby jbullard » Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:45 pm

Unfortunately that is the problem with some companies coding. Because code has the ability to return a specific number corresponding to the operating system installed they normally always make the mistake of requiring that number. Instead, what I do is, if the returned number is equal to or greater than the minimum. But it is a catch 22 because I have no idea if it will work in the next version. However, I would much rather let people test it to see then restrict them so they can't. :yesnod:
VP - Software

Postby phileysmiley » Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:08 pm

Exactly! Wouldn't you think the Vista version is compatible with W7? It probably is. But they won't even let you try it. They won't even return the support request I sent LAST Monday and re-sent twice since then.

But...is it a any wonder, since they have replaced it with a new product suite for $60?
Media Director

Postby jbullard » Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:33 pm

Yeah, they are probably doing that on purpose. It is all about exploiting the fact that there is a new OS. I would highly doubt that this application is incompatible with Win7. I am not sure if they use PayPal but I had the same issue a few weeks ago. Luckily I used Paypal for payment and the day before it was suppose to be elevated to the PayPal fraud dept. the people responded. I still got them a bad review on PayPal so it still hurt them. :yesnod: I would file a complaint with the BBB.
VP - Software

Postby albchong » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:04 pm

Hi Larry,

I bet my experience is more disasterous. I install W7 on my Acer. Worked fine for about a month and then started complaining that my copy wasn't genuine even though it is. :eek: I've replaced W7 with Vista more painful but at least I know it's not going to give me a black desktop. I wish you luck with your challenge. I'd be interested to know if you have further ones after this as I may upgrade to W7 once the Service Pack is out.
PROfessional Member

Postby phileysmiley » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:07 pm

Sorry to hear about your experience. I know how frustrating it can be. My initial problems were finally resolved, albeit with a lot of pain and grief. At this point I've gone on to re-install about 20 essential programs and all have installed and worked fine so far. Other than the CA product, I've found a W7-compatible version of everything I've tried to install.

It's still new to me and I've yet to really explore what's new or different in it but I haven't run into any serious issues since. Networking with my other PCs through my wired connection has been much easier than Vista. I really didn't have to do anything at all to get W7 to see my other PCs, and to get my other PCs (XP 32-bit and XP 64-bit) to see the W7 laptop was just walking through the normal procedure sharing folder by folder.

I've had some problems with wireless seeing my home network -- it seems to be inconsistent. Sometimes it works right away other times it doesn't. But I think I traced it to a SSID-broadcasting issue.

So right now I'm running smoothly with it and am able to do everything I was able to do on Vista (and XP 64-bit before that) on my laptop.
Media Director

Re: My experience with W7? Disastrous at first but improving

Postby albchong » Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:03 am

It's good to hear that you're mostly there with W7. ^*^ My experience with the beta and afterwards the RC was really positive, which why I installed it so quickly after RTM. Be aware that if your W7 should flag up as non genuine there is supposedly a fix now (released by microsoft) where you need to disable plug and play - I haven't tried it. Published too late for me. :no
PROfessional Member

Postby JabbaPapa » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:21 am

I know this is an older thread, but ... :

phileysmiley wrote:Exactly! Wouldn't you think the Vista version is compatible with W7? It probably is. But they won't even let you try it. They won't even return the support request I sent LAST Monday and re-sent twice since then.

There is actually a small group of software for Vista that will not work with Windows 7, mainly software that deals with the heart of the operating system such as antivirus software, partitioning tools, virtualisation, etc.

Some companies will provide free updates to the earlier software versions, some companies will work behind the scenes with Microsoft at the Windows Alpha development stage, to ensure either compatibility or easy upgradeability ; whereas others will not -- Microsoft will also tend to ensure that the most popular software suites will work in a new Windows version, but clearly CA products no longer qualify for this status.

phileysmiley wrote:But...is it a any wonder, since they have replaced it with a new product suite for $60?

LOL

---

Personally, I'm using the Microsoft Security Essentials permanent Beta, which you should be able to obtain very easily if you have access to Microsoft Connect. Or you can just use the release version. Or NOD32 or another free solution as suggested by others.

CA were great about 5-7 years ago, which is likely when you obtained your software, and when they were being used internally by Microsoft -- but those days are long gone... :(
PRO VETERAN

PreviousNext

Return to General Windows Support