A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Cannot remove printers

Cannot remove printers

Postby jmurr » Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:58 pm

I have just done an upgrade install of Windows 7 Home Premium from XP Pro. I now have 3 USB printers showing as installed, a Cannon Inkjet i.p. 2600, Cannon Inkjet i.p. 2600 copy 1 and Cannon ip 2600 (note the absence of the word “inkjet) in the drop down menu when I goto Print. Only one of them is required but I can not find a way to delete the others. The Devices and Printers folder is empty (no devices or printers).
Any help would be appreciated.
Jim
PRO Level 3

Re: Cannot remove printers

Postby Grav!ty » Sat Feb 27, 2010 3:36 am

Are the printers shown in Device Manager?

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby NT50 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:19 am

Printer are not listed in Device Manager in Windows 7

IF you have an all in one printer the scanner will be listed as an image device.

You SHOULD be able to click on the printers and and press Remove device and that will unpair the printer from the computer. Then right click in the Device and Printer windows and click add printer and let Win 7 find it.
Dogs Have Owners; Cats Have Staff
PROfessional Member

Postby Malhovic » Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:23 pm

If you are unable to remove the printer through the GUI like NT50 recommended, you can modify the registry.

Please be sure to read through the entire list of steps before completing them.

Follow these steps to remove the printers:
    Unplug your printer from your computer and turn off the printer
    Go to Start -> Run
    Type in REGEDIT and click "OK"
    From there, navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Printers by clicking on the plus signs next to each entry
    Once you are in this Key (Folder), you will see the list of printers you have installed under the plus
    In your case you should see, Cannon Inkjet i.p. 2600, Cannon Inkjet i.p. 2600 copy 1 and Cannon ip 2600 like you posted above.
    Right click each of these folders and click Delete NOTE DO NOT DELETE THE "PRINTERS" FOLDER THAT YOU ARE IN, WINDOWS REQUIRES THIS FOLDER FOR PRINTING, ONLY REMOVE THE PRINTERS THAT ARE INSTALLED.
    Once all of the Printer Keys are removed that you want gone, close the Registry Editor and Reboot your computer (*I recommend removing all of them so that you can add back what you need later)
    Once your computer comes back online, go into your Start -> Devices and Printers folder and ensure that the printers are infact missing
    Once this is complete, I would recommend downloading the latest Windows 7 Drivers from the Canon website for your printer and reinstall the printer this way.

I hope this helps, if you have any questions please be sure to ask before moving forward!

PLEASE NOTE: MAKE SURE YOU FOLLOW THESE STEPS EXACTLY AS WHEN YOU ARE MODIFYING THE REGISTRY ON A COMPUTER, IF YOU DELETE OR MODIFY SOMETHING WITHOUT KNOWING IT CAN BE HARMFUL TO YOUR COMPUTERS OPERATION!

Sorry for the disclaimer and CAPS on this post, but you need to make sure you are careful when working in the registry.

PROfessional Member

Postby jmurr » Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:08 pm

Thanks, I'll try that.
Jim
PRO Level 3

remote printer from windows 7

Postby sowdagar10 » Wed May 16, 2012 6:26 am

click the internet explorer go to file print. there you find all the list of printers. From there right click the printer which you want to delete. this will solve the problem
PRO New Member

Return to General Windows Support