A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Install Windows XP in Dual Boot with Pre-Installed Windows 7

Forum rules
Please start your own topic for support with problems you experience. Even if it appears to be exactly the same as someone else's problem, system configurations differ significantly. Thank you.

It may take our support staff between 24-48 hours to respond to your problem. We are a small business and strive to answer your questions as soon as possible. We appreciate your patience.

Re: Install Windows XP in Dual Boot with Pre-Installed Windows 7

Postby zudie » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:41 am

Just got a new Asus K50IJ laptop with Windows 7 Home installed. Need XP because all my programs are XP.
Tried the guide, but cannot assign a letter to the hidden partition. Did shrink the W7 volume till about 119 GB.
Then wanted to install XP. But got a blue screen during installation (error 0x0000007).

Thought this might have to do with shrinking the volume, so went back and gave it its original 238 GB.
But again the blue screen and error.

The Windows XP CD is slipstreamed with SP3 and SATA drivers. I have used it successfully half a year ago.

Any idea what can be wrong?

Here is a screenshot of my disk management:
PRO New Member

Postby zudie » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:42 am

Oops, image doesn't work.

Link here:
http://img30.imageshack.us/i/asusk50ijdiskman.jpg/
PRO New Member

Postby NT50 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:28 pm

The drivers slipstreamed to XP, are they the drivers for the NEW notebook.
Dogs Have Owners; Cats Have Staff
PROfessional Member

Postby ansal26 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:22 am

hi i got same problem as u.............when xp cd finishe installing scsi drive,raid driver,fatdrive etc etc something like that.............then start windows...........then suddenly blue screen is coming and . then i have to do forced restart.it is the only way.....please help me BRINK PLEASE..............
PRO New Member

Postby ansal26 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:30 am

I HAVE THE FOLLOWING CONFIG
K40 ASUS
CORE 2 DUO
4GB
500GB HARD
WINDOWS HOME PREMIUM..............

ALSO I WANT TO KNOW WHAT IS STIPSTREAMING.............
PROBLEM IS SAME BLUE SCREEN WITH ERROR(***********)
PRO New Member

Postby NT50 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:02 pm

Slipstreaming is where you create a software install disk which includes your drivers. Taht way for instance, you do not have to press F6 to install factory drivers.
PROfessional Member

Postby jannishal » Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:04 pm

Hello everyone,

I am new to this site and I found this website based on research. In a couple of weeks I will be receiving a new Acer laptop computer with Windows 7 Home Premium installed and I would like to install XP professional service pack 2 onto my computer. So I was doing some research and found this site. I am no tech person and I know little about computers so I will read the guide. But I have seen where people are still having problems even though they have followed the guide to the letter. I have read all 12 pages and every response because I need help and data. I will be coming here again when my purchased laptop arrives. But while doing research I found a website that states why a some problems occur when installing Windows XP- especially a blue screen. Here is the link and your techs can read it; http://www.trap17.com/index.php/install ... 55476.html

Also I saw this response from someone while browsing,

"In order to Install Win XP,you must first go into your System BIOS and see if there's some options for SATA such as Native SATA or AHCI. If so, disable them and then try to install XP.
The BSOD screen is the result of a sata/raid issue with XP. So disabling AHCI in your BIOS will get rid of the BSOD. Worked for me AND I had Windows 7 Installed. "

I think this is one of the problems for some why XP is giving problems to install with an already installed Win7.

jannishal
PRO New Member

Postby NT50 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:49 pm

Not only with Windows 7 but with Vista.

One way to over come this issue is to find the proper drivers for your computer and Windows XP and use nLite to slipstream the drivers into a new install disk.
PROfessional Member

Postby Thunderhawk89 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:54 pm

Hello,

I want to install Windows XP (32 bit) on a Sony VAIO machine with Windows 7 (64 bit) pre-installed. I have used Suns VirtualBox software to try the installation disk on a virtual machine before trying on the real machine.

I tried the guide on VirtualBox (using a retail CD) and had a BSOD when I had to choose the partition to install WinXP on (I didn't see it, but I know the procedure already) so I figured it had to do with the drivers since WinXP doesn't support SATA disks on the installation disk. Then I slipstreamed the DriverPacks drivers for the Chipset, LAN and Mass-Storage devices (using DriverPacks BASE and nLite to create a bootable ISO) and tried again. This time, the installation went fine and it got installed without any problems so I assume the SATA drivers are included on the ISO.

I burned the ISO on a CD and tried it on the physical machine, but this time I once again have a BSOD and I didn't get to the partition choice... So what went wrong? Are the SATA drivers faulty? I cannot use the original drivers since they are x64 instead of x86...

Any help is highly appreciated, thanks!
PRO New Member

Postby Thunderhawk89 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:22 am

Whereas the SATA driver works for the virtual SATA drive in VirtualBox, I presume the SATA driver doesn't work with the SATA controller... The chipset I have is a PM55 chipset so I think it's a member of the Intel 5 Series chipset, more specifically the Core i Series Mobile Chipset. I'm trying to get a driver for it but all I can find are update utilities... I'll be back to update my progress.
PRO New Member

PreviousNext

Return to Windows Boot Problems