A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Dual Boot Vista Home Premium 64-bit and XP Home Edition

Forum rules
Please start your own topic for support with problems you experience. Even if it appears to be exactly the same as someone else's problem, system configurations differ significantly. Thank you.

It may take our support staff between 24-48 hours to respond to your problem. We are a small business and strive to answer your questions as soon as possible. We appreciate your patience.

Dual Boot Vista Home Premium 64-bit and XP Home Edition

Postby reevesjo » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:15 am

As a newbie, I need some specific directions. I just installed DualBootPro on my HP desktop with Vista Home Premium 64-bit.
I want to install WINXP so I can run AutoCad14. I entered "'Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" as the name of the NEW system on the Operating Systems page. What should I put in the Boot Drive Box? C:/ is the main hard drive where Vista is located. Should XP be on C:/ also? What next????????? How do I now install WINXP. I have the XP Home Edition Service Pack 2. Do I just insert the disk in the CD drive? Thanks Joe
PRO New Member

Re: newbie

Postby Grav!ty » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:35 am

See these two guides:

install-windows-xp-in-dual-boot-with-pre-installed-windows-7-t112568.html

dual-boot-trouble-shooting-guide-xp-windows-7-running-t112569.html

I'll change your topic title to something more descriptive of the issue being discussed shortly.

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby reevesjo » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:59 am

Instructions say:

"Go to Disk Management in Windows 7 by right clicking Computer and select Manage and then Disk Management."

I have Vista Home Premium and not Windows 7. So, there is no such choice when I click Computer.........unless I am blind.
Once again, I am trying to instal WINXP in addition the existing Vista.

Please stay with me. I am not too computer literate, but I think I can follow directions.
Thanks, Joe
PRO New Member

Postby Grav!ty » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:16 am

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Re: Dual Boot Vista Home Premium 64-bit and XP Home Edition

Postby reevesjo » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:47 am

Access is denied!!!!! When I try to shrink the volume C:/. I have done everything I can find to become the administrator. I am the only one who uses this computer and when log in, I now click on Administrator. Also, I have gone t the RUN command and typed "net user administrator /active". It says that I am the administrator. Still will now allow me to change the shrink size.
Size before shrink in MB = 705432
Available Shrink space in MB = 209487
Enter amount to shrink = 209487 (in red changeable numbers)
Total size after shrink in MB = 495945

I entered 100000 in the "Enter amount to shrink". Access Denied. Then I took their default of 209487. Again, Access Denied.

What am I doing wrong?
PRO New Member

Re: Dual Boot Vista Home Premium 64-bit and XP Home Edition

Postby Grav!ty » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:26 am

Either try shrinking the partition from Safe mode. Press F8 repeatedly as soon as Vista starts loading to get to safe mode.

Alternatively, boot to the Vista DVD and at the Install now setup screen, select Repair your computer, then select the command prompt and follow the directions given below (It's for Win 7 but Vista will work similarly), to access and use disk part to shrink that partition or create a new partition of the size you want:

using-diskpart-on-the-windows-7-dvd-t112571.html

PROfessional Member

Return to Windows Boot Problems