A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Windows Home Server 'Vail' - a new version being tested

Windows Home Server 'Vail' - a new version being tested

Postby shreader » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:44 pm

>snip<
After playing with this edition for no more than a day, it’s clearly no where near finished and stands in at the fourth community technical preview at this stage. But the potential is huge, and I genuinely see this as a fantastic solution for house-sharing students.

It only comes in 64-bit as it is based on Windows Server 2008 R2, the server system designed to support Windows 7. It requires at least 120GB to install and the download/installation package comes in at just over 3GB.

The most fun I had was through the the remote web interface; allowing you to remotely view your files, documents, music and videos from anywhere else in the world with an Internet connection.

The web interface looks and feels like Windows Live Home (wave 4), and when playing music or video acts between Windows Media Player and Windows Media Center. While this build is an early one, they have this functionality in place already and can only expect bigger and better things.

More at: http://blogs.zdnet.com/igeneration/?p=4025
Software Director

Re: Windows Home Server 'Vail' - a new vesrion being tested

Postby mnemonicj » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:02 pm

shreader wrote:It requires at least 120GB to install...

Is this a typo? 120GB is a lot of space, especially if you want to test it out on a virtual machine. I think I only have about 60 GB of space for all of my virtual machines.
PRO Level 15

Postby jbullard » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:09 pm

Should probably state 10GB or 12GB as in the system requirements for Windows Server 2008 R2. :yesnod:
VP - Software

Postby shreader » Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:21 am

It may have something to do w/ the storage space requirement, not sure though.

Edit The old WHS specs I found from 2007 say:

Minimum system requirements are quite low: 1GHz CPU, 512MB RAM, 80GB of free space on the primary drive, and an Ethernet connection.
Software Director

Re: Windows Home Server 'Vail' - a new version being tested

Postby yeshuas » Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:55 am

the 120 GB sounds right to me for the new WHS Vail, as I beta tested WHS and soon ran out of space initially since it did not delete the old backups as it was suppose to at first
Game Over!!!!!!!!
ASUS Maximus V Gene MB
Windows 8 X64; Windows 7 X64; Windows 7 X86
Intel I5-3570K
16GB Corsair Vengeance Ram
eVGA GeForce GTX 550 TI
Corsair GS700 PS
1TB Seagate SATA 6.0Gb HD
Thermaltake Case
Software Development

Postby NT50 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:18 am

After my last go aroudn with WHS I don't think I will be out buying this one like I did the last. It was a constant crash all the time for me. It was not near as dependable as the workstation was and I do not like the idea of software RAID. It woudl be best to just setup a Win Server 2008 and find ways to make it work the way you want it..... imo.
Dogs Have Owners; Cats Have Staff
PROfessional Member

Postby mnemonicj » Sat Jan 30, 2010 5:48 am

I agree, Jeff. After getting into server operating systems, I have taken the red pill and can no longer backtrack to a glorified NAS. I think it is a great solution for anyone that wants central file storage in their home and the best thing about it is that you can put WHS on an old computer and it will run just fine. Granted, it will run just fine after they patch the bugs.
PRO Level 15

Postby NT50 » Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:05 am

When they start patches is when I started crashing.
Dogs Have Owners; Cats Have Staff
PROfessional Member

Postby imnuts » Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:36 pm

I'm using the current version as a trial on my old computer that I got originally for college and it works great for what I need. I haven't had any issues with it, though there are some things I can think of that I'd improve upon. I'd really like to get a small low power system, possibly a 64-bit Intel Atom system, with a load of storage to use as a WHS. To bad I don't have a spare 64-bit system that I could use to test this potentially. I wonder what all will change compared to the current available release.
PRO SUPREME

Postby shreader » Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:19 pm

There isn't much info on what is changed, yet.

From Wikipedia
Windows Home Server V2 will be built on the Windows Server 2008 R2 code base[3] (it's predecessor having been built on Windows Server 2003) and will only support 64 bit hardware. Windows Home Server V2 will come in two editions, Standard and Premium, Microsoft has not commented on the feature differences between the two editions[3].

No new features have been announced by Microsoft, but reportedly will include additional entertainment capabilities[4] including web-based media functionality[5] and an 'add in' feature with an app store[3].

Speculation by technology columnist Mary Jo Foley that 'Vail' will integrate with Windows Media Center prompted the response "Time will tell" by Microsoft Windows Home Server Product Planner Todd Headrick.[4]

Other changes denoted from Microsoft's want ads for the Windows Home Server Team include improving the user interface, including integration with the Media Center and Live Mesh user interface.[6]

Edit: in my first post there is a link to a bunch of screenshots to view of WHS "Vail".
Software Director

Return to Alpha / Beta Software