A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

MSI N9400FT MD512 video card

MSI N9400FT MD512 video card

Postby mooseantlers » Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:55 pm

I just got the aforementioned video card and am going to plant it in my ASUS P5W DH Deluxe motherboard to take full advantage of my ACER 22inch monitor (HDMI).

The installation instructions are horrible (or i'm just having a mental block). I can understand when a manufacturer adds 'product may not look exactly the same as pictured'. I can live with that part. These 'instructions' tell you a whole lot about what the card is capable of doing and that's about it. I'm sure i'm capable of popping the card however it's what they show next that has me going crazy! According to this thing, I have to enable the HDMI by using the supplied HMDI/DVI converter. The illustration shows how to do that, but, in this case, the card isn't shown with an HDMI port - but this card has one. The other illustration shows the supplied SPDIF internal cable hookup.

Am I to assume that, since the card has the HDMI port, I do not have to use that converter?

You'd think that the MSI would, at the very least, add an additional page to let you know that there is or isn't a need to do that. Their web site stinks.

Thanks!
PRO Level 4

Re: MSI N9400FT MD512 video card

Postby jbullard » Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:58 pm

If the card has an HDMI port then you do not need a converter. The DVI/HDMI converter is only for cases where the card has the HDMI/HDCP capability but has a DVI output. Sounds like the instructions are for a legacy card. :yesnod:
VP - Software

Postby mooseantlers » Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:55 pm

Thanks for the reply.

I went ahead and installed the card. Guess i'v been out of circulation when it comes to video cards. I replaced an MSI 7900gtx board & that required a power cable. This does not.

The video drivers took forever to load, got a warning that they may not be compatible with Windows, etc. I did a stupid thing and did not reboot the computer afterwards as it would not recognize the monitor. After a reboot, all is well. I did not hook up that SPDIF cable though. There is a 'port' on the motherboard labeled SPFID Output. I'm not sure if you, or anyone can answer this question, but the motherboard's SPDIF port has 3 pins; 2 next to each other, a space with no pin & then one single pin. According to the installation instructions, the orange cable - which contains a 1 pin connector goes to that and the black, single connector cable goes to a ground. There is a warning to make sure the connections are correct our damage may result. Any clue as whether I need to use that cable, or to what pin to use on the motherboard's SPFID connector. I don't see a nearby ground though.

Thank again for any info.
PRO Level 4

Postby jbullard » Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:33 pm

You will need to look in the MB user guide. It should explain which pins are which. If not, maybe look for small lettering next to the pin (i.e GND, GRND, etc).
VP - Software

Return to General Tech Chat