A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Should I turn off AdWatch

Should I turn off AdWatch

Postby phileysmiley » Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:39 pm

I love WinPatrol and have used it for many years on many computers and OSs. I also have used the old standby AdAware for on-demand scanning, sometimes with the live AdWatch component. I know that you must not run more than one AV or firewall but I also know that running more than one anti-spy is okay. This has come up many times over the years and I've researched it and know this to be true, so I have usually had more than one-antispy app running on various rigs -- plus they don't all do the same things.

So here is my situation. On my oldest rig, the only one running XP 32-bit, I don't have a lot of mermory and with FF and Tweetdeck on all the time I find that my memory is almost maxed out. So I have checked to see what I can eliminate. I have already decided that I will not stop using FF or Tweetdeck on that rig. So my 3rd biggest memory hog is AdWatch. I also have WinPatrol running on there, which does not use a lot at all. I do not have Windows Defender on that rig. I know that I do NOT want to replace AdWatch with Defender since I can see on my other rigs that Defender uses even more memory than AdWatch. So my question is, should I just turn off the AdWatch component of AdAware and use WinPatrol as my only anti-spy on that rig? It would save me some memory usage.

What do you think?
Media Director

Re: Should I turn off AdWatch

Postby NT50 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:09 pm

Larry

I would turn off Adwatch as you mentioned. What you can do tho is run a program called Malwarebytes.org (the freebie) and run a scan maybe once a week to keep your system clean. To the best of my knowledge it is a bettter scanner than Adaware is. I use it a LOT on customers computers.
Dogs Have Owners; Cats Have Staff
PROfessional Member

Postby phileysmiley » Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:43 pm

Thanks Jeff. So do you think that in addition to turning off the active component I should just uninstall it altogether?
Media Director

Postby NT50 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:06 pm

I would.... they run small programs in the background also.
PROfessional Member

Postby phileysmiley » Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:14 pm

Thanks. I've probably been using it for almost 10 years but I guess it had its day. I'll try Malwarebytes. I also have Spybot on there for on-demand scans although I hardly ever run it. And I just realized I have Spyware Blaster running in the background lol but it hardly uses any memory.
Media Director

Postby NT50 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:25 pm

i would get rid of Spybot also especially if your running teatimer.
Spyware Blaster was good in its day, they have not kept up with the times tho.
PROfessional Member

Postby phileysmiley » Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:47 pm

No, I'm not running TeaTimer. I would definitely not be running 3 spyware apps at once.
Media Director

Postby phileysmiley » Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:06 pm

Okay then, I'll uninstall AdAware (on-demand plus active AdWatch), Spyware Blaster (active), and Spybot (on-demand).

I'll install on-demand only Malwarebytes.

That will leave me with:

1) WinPatrol active
2) Malwarebytes on-demand

BTW Yahoo Toolbar has a built-in on-demand CA Antispy but I hardly ever use it.

Thanks! ^*^ :notworthy

==================

EDIT: Uninstalled all 3. There were actually 2 versions of Spybot in there for some reason. I think one of the reasons I was reluctant to get rid of AdAware is because I paid for it. I don't remember how much the upgrade to the SE version (with AdWatch) was but I hat to throw money away.
Media Director

Postby NT50 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:27 pm

Get rid of the toobars
they use memory.......................

if you want yahoo.com then goto it or google and so on

Think about this... what happens if MS releases and update or FF release new version, then a lot of time tobars will not work properly and they have to update. i dont use any toolbars, they just take up memory
PROfessional Member

Postby phileysmiley » Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:36 pm

The Google Toolbar I cannot do without. I actually use it dozens of time an hour --it's indispensible for "search site," and "highlight on page." I also use it for its direct links to images and news, as well as a huge list of search option in a pull-down on the toolbar itself as well as on the FF search bar.

It may be my single most most app besides FF.

The Yahoo bar I guess I can do without. I used to use it a lot since it has button to my mail and PRO although they've become somewhat obsolete with FF smart search. I think I only use it now to go direct to Yahoo Notepad and Greetings, and a wealth of reference sites on one button (encyclopedia, dictionary, thesaurus, etc).

I don't see either one on my list of processes in memory though.
Media Director

Next

Return to Security & Virus