A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Dual XP/Win 7 boot no longer working

Forum rules
Please start your own topic for support with problems you experience. Even if it appears to be exactly the same as someone else's problem, system configurations differ significantly. Thank you.

It may take our support staff between 24-48 hours to respond to your problem. We are a small business and strive to answer your questions as soon as possible. We appreciate your patience.

Dual XP/Win 7 boot no longer working

Postby Susan G » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:29 pm

Hi-

I had a dual-boot Windows XP/Windows 7 system working fine. Each OS was installed on a different drive, and I had a choice which to boot to on startup. I'd installed Windows 7 on an older Maxtor IDE drive and it was a little noisy so I decided to clone it to a newer SATA drive using Acronis True Image. I tested it for a while to make sure the cloned drive worked, and it was fine.

My drives were all out of the PC case during this for a totally unrelated reason, and when I hooked them back up I started having problems. I don't think I installed them in the original order, and maybe that's the problem, but I've tried all available boot disk priorities. My motherboard is an ASUS PB5-E, if that helps.

I still get the option to boot into XP or Windows 7, but only the XP boot works. Windows 7 comes up with a blank screen or a "recovered" option, but none of the recovery options work.

So now I have 2 drives with identical Windows 7 installations, along with a bunch of programs and registry settings, etc., but I can't boot into Windows 7.

The BIOS recognizes all of my SATA drives, as does Device Manager in XP.

If I remove the original Win 7 (IDE) boot disk and use the cloned drive I get the "Windows 7 (recovered)" boot option, but once it gets past the Welcome screen, the wheel spins for a while, then the screen goes dark.

If I boot in Safe Mode and choose "Repair Computer" it goes through all the tests and finds no errors.

If I boot using the original (IDE) boot disk I get the same Win 7 (recovered) boot option, but the Repair fails, complaining about an unnamed device driver.

I must have done something wrong somewhere along the way, but I'd think with 2 "bootable" Win 7 drives one would work!

Any suggestions before I try a System Restore or re-install Win 7?

Thanks!

-Susan
PRO New Member

Re: Dual XP/Win 7 boot no longer working

Postby yeshuas » Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:24 pm

Can you post a screen shot of your Disk Management, and your boot.ini
Game Over!!!!!!!!
ASUS Maximus V Gene MB
Windows 8 X64; Windows 7 X64; Windows 7 X86
Intel I5-3570K
16GB Corsair Vengeance Ram
eVGA GeForce GTX 550 TI
Corsair GS700 PS
1TB Seagate SATA 6.0Gb HD
Thermaltake Case
Software Development

Postby Susan G » Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:34 pm

Hi yeshuas-

Update since my last post:

I got the IDE drive working, so I can now dual-boot into XP or Win 7 (I think -- I'll have to restart once more to be sure).

So that's definite progress, but I still have the initial issue. I cloned the IDE Win 7 drive to a SATA drive using Acronis True Image Home 2010, and even though the "Automatic" option indicated it would make the drive bootable, I can't boot from it.

The IDE drive is noisy, so I'd really like to use a SATA drive instead.

Thanks-

-Susan
PRO New Member

Postby NT50 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:36 am

If you ahve your Visat DVD, disconnect he IDE drive and boot to the Vista DVD and do a startup repair.
Dogs Have Owners; Cats Have Staff
PROfessional Member

Postby Susan G » Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:27 pm

Hi NT50-

Thanks for the suggestion, but I already tried that. It's Windows 7, and when I run the startup repair on the cloned drive it says it can't find any problems.

I'm going to try the clone again from the Rescue CD.

Thanks-

-Susan
PRO New Member

Postby NT50 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:04 pm

If you have to copy the file AND folder form the DVD "bootmgr" (file) and "Boot" (folder & contents) to the root of the win 7 drive. Then do a startup repair.
Dogs Have Owners; Cats Have Staff
PROfessional Member

Postby Susan G » Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:30 pm

Hi Jeff-

I'm hoping the Rescue CD will take care of it. At this point I'm waiting for definitive word from Acronis re when to disconnect my original boot drive, since I don't remember seeing an option to shut down after the cloning was complete, and I think that's where I messed up in the first place. This is with ATI Home 2010, in case anyone here's familiar with that.

Thanks-

-Susan
PRO New Member

Return to Windows Boot Problems