A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

upgrade from windows 7 home premium to ultimate

upgrade from windows 7 home premium to ultimate

Postby rclarke6 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:09 pm

I purchased a copy of windows 7 Ultimate recently and upgraded my vista computer. After only a short time my computer failed and i ordered a new computer. The operating system on this new computer is windows 7 home preimum. I thought no problem, I have the new copy of windows 7 ultimate so i can just upgrade to the more expensive system that i have already paid for. When i try to do this i am told that i must use the any time upgrade option built into my computer. This makes me have to purchase another copy of ultimate upgrade. Since i already have a copy can anyone tell me if there is another way to use my already purchased ultimate without having to do a completely new install?
Richard D Clarke
PRO New Member

Re: upgrade from windows 7 home preimum to ultimate

Postby NT50 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:42 pm

I have never run into a situation like this. Maybe another here will login and see this and can help.
Dogs Have Owners; Cats Have Staff
PROfessional Member

Re: upgrade from windows 7 home premium to ultimate

Postby shreader » Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:16 pm

1) Try booting off your Ultimate DVD & choosing upgrade in Win7 first.

2) If that doesn't work restart the PC & boot off the DVD there.

Or try this, it will take awhile but:

3) Do a clean install w/ your upgrade Ultimate the way upgrades were installed w/ Vista.
a) Do not enter a key when asked & you'll get a 30 day trial.
b) Then do another install w/ your Ultimate DVD but choose the upgrade install this time.
Software Director

Postby rclarke6 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:30 pm

I did Numbers 1 and 2. Number 1 told me to use windows anytime upgrade on my pc and would not upgrade from my dvd, and number 2 told me to do number 1, haha. i am not sure about number 3, I don't believe i understand exactly what you mean. If you could explain a little bit more i would appreciate it. Thank you so much.

UPDATE: I found out the answer to my problem. I went to Technet and searched and found that i should be able to use my activication code for ultimate that came with my cd to use the windows anytime update feature on my computer. I did this and it did upgrade my computer to Ultimate in only about 10 minutes so I am sure it only installs the very few programs that it does not have. In any case all is well now, thank you all for your help.
Richard D Clarke
PRO New Member

Postby mnemonicj » Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:51 am

I can't believe I didn't think of that. I upgraded from Professional to Ultimate by typing in the key for the Ultimate version and the features of Ultimate were added after a reboot.

Sorry for the brain freeze, I am glad you found the answer.
PRO Level 15

Postby NT50 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:06 am

Good info to know. Thanks for reporting back.
Dogs Have Owners; Cats Have Staff
PROfessional Member

Return to General Windows Support