A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

My experience with W7? Disastrous at first but improving

My experience with W7? Disastrous at first but improving

Postby phileysmiley » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:41 pm

Not sure if it's just bad luck or coincidental, but I installed Windows 7 last weekend and so far have not been able to do a thing with it. These are the first 3 things I have needed to do:

1) Get networking going -- unfortunately it took a couple of days, a lot of frustration, and a long nasty support call to Toshiba to figure out what turned out to be a simple solution. It is a new procedure and yet is not in any of the help, support, or troubleshooters in Windows 7. I finally got it working yesterday.
cannot-connect-to-home-network-t112411.html

2) Install and get my CA security working -- all I need is the license key, but something at their site is preventing me from getting it. I wrote Monday, Wednesday, and again today and have not received help. This is a week now that I don't have it installed and working.
it-s-friday-still-no-response-from-ca-since-monday-t112375.html

3) Install and get PicMarkr PRO working -- this is one of my most important programs (hence why it was my 2nd on the list). I paid $40 for a subscription and at first couldn't locate the key. It took them a couple of days to get it to me. now I cannot get it to work. It was fine in Vista but won't work in Windows 7. So now I am waiting again for support.

One week into W7 and the 2 programs I have on the list to install first are still not installed and working.

My opinion of W7 so far? Nothing but frustration and annoyance.

Oh, and all this could have been avoided if the instructions from Toshiba on how to upgrade were correct.
the-worst-customer-service-experience-of-my-life-t112349.html
Media Director

Re: My experience with W7 so far? Disastrous

Postby Grav!ty » Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:06 am

Do the makers of PicMarkr PRO claim it will work in Windows 7 and in particular 64-Bit?

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby phileysmiley » Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:10 am

Grav!ty wrote:Do the makers of PicMarkr PRO claim it will work in Windows 7 and in particular 64-Bit?

I am waiting for a response. The site itself simply says "for Windows." But I did use it successfully in Windows Vista 64-bit for at least a year.
Media Director

Postby Grav!ty » Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:34 am

I wonder if Compatibility Mode would work for PicMarkr PRO

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby phileysmiley » Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:35 am

Yup. Did all that. At first I kept getting an error dialogue box as I began to add the watermarks (access error). I tried several possible solution. First I went into properties and checked a box that said "check here to unlock because the file came from another computer." Then I checked to run as Administrator. I also tried running it in Compatibility Mode for both Vista SP2 as well as Vista.
Media Director

Postby Grav!ty » Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:24 am

I downloaded the trial/freebie which has the PicMarkr PRO logo on the watermarks and it works fine for me in W7 64. It didn't actually install but runs as a portable right?

PROfessional Member

Postby phileysmiley » Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:33 am

Yes, you just run the downloaded exe everytime.

First I was able to drag files into it but as I would start watermarking them it would stop and I'd get a "cannot access" error.

After tweaking with the properties, I wasn't even able to drag files into it.

Were you able to drag pics into it? It has 2 options, browse to file and drag. I need the drag option since I will have dozens at a time and I wasn't able to browse multiple files with it.
Media Director

Postby Grav!ty » Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:01 am

I dragged that image from the Pictures folder on the right of Windows Explorer under Libraries :yesnod:

PROfessional Member

Postby phileysmiley » Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:28 am

I can't figure it out then. :no
Media Director

Postby phileysmiley » Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:10 pm

W00tt!!! We are making progress. I received this email from the developer:

Hello!

We've done a Vista 64 bit / Win 7 version of PM Pro
Here is direct download link:
http://picmarkrpro.com/PicMarkrPro_vista.exe

Could you try it, please?
It wold be nice if you try it with and without Compatibility Mode

I did as he requested, and downloaded the new version. I tried it first without compatibility mode, running it as is. It worked perfectly! I was able to drag files as before and watermark them all.

I also tried it in compatibility mode for XP SP3. It did not work. I was not able to drag files into the application.

So this new version is working great as is, without compatibility mode. :yahoo:

P.S. Still waiting for a response from CA.
Media Director

Next

Return to General Windows Support