A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Cannot connect to home network [FIXED]

Cannot connect to home network [FIXED]

Postby phileysmiley » Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:43 am

I am at my wit's end. I just installed Windows 7 on my laptop and no matter what I try I cannot connect to my wireless network. I have run the network troubleshooter a dozen times. It is useless. It's just an endless loop. No matter where I go for help or what I click I get taken to the same troubleshooter which walks me through the same steps which leaves me in the same place.

I have entered my workgroup name and WEP key twice, restarted, restarted the router, and it doesn't see my network. The network adapter is working fine and does see other networks in range.

In the past all I had to do was go in and enter my router settings and WEP key and make sure the name of the network was correct and it would connect automatically. I have spent an hour on this and Windows 7's help is useless. :bashhead :bashhead :bashhead

P.S. I had the EXACT same problem when I got the laptop and set up Vista:
wireless-network-not-recognized-t109356.html?hilit=cannot%20connect%20to%20network

IN this case, though, following those steps did not work.
Media Director

Re: Cannot connect to home network

Postby phileysmiley » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:05 pm

Help please someone? :help:
Media Director

Postby Grav!ty » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:23 pm

Have you disabled/removed IPv6 in your adapters properties?

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby phileysmiley » Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:48 pm

Hmm I don't see how/where to do that.

================
EDIT Well now I've really got a problem. The little switch to turn on WiFi isn't even lighting up now when I turn it on.
Media Director

Postby phileysmiley » Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:38 pm

ARRRRRRGHHHHHHHHHH

Okay, it's fixed. First of all, the reason the light wasn't coming on was because when you press FN+F8 it disables the wireless adapter. You then have to press FN+F8 again to turn it back on. I've NEVER had to do that and didn't even know that it existed. It obviously got turned off somehow and obviously that option wasn't contained in the Windows Help system because it is Toshiba hardware-related.

Once I fixed that, I still had to try to connect to my router. Turns out, it is a completely different procedure from Vista or any other Windows OS I have used.

Yet it's ridiculously simple:

1) View available wireless networks.
2) Click on "ANOTHER" network, i.e., a nameless network that just happens to show up and could be my next door neighbor or anyone. It literally just says "ANOTHER."
3) Enter my SSID/Network name.
4) Enter my WEP key.
5) Click connect.

That was it. All I had to do was connect to the anonymous network that showed up on my list of available networks. Grrrr. I have never done it this way. WHY ISN"T THIS IS ANY OF THE DOCUMENTATION OR TROUBLESHOOTERS?
Media Director

Return to General Windows Support