A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Cannot start Firefox [SOLVED]

Re: Cannot start Firefox [SOLVED]

Postby Grav!ty » Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:03 am

I guess we should be comforted in the knowledge that MS has our best interests at heart and is protecting us from ourselves :lol:

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby phileysmiley » Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:04 am

See:

0104app.jpg
0104app.jpg (134.75 KiB) Viewed 2759 times
Media Director

Postby Grav!ty » Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:08 am

Have you gone to the Advanced button there?

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby phileysmiley » Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:13 am

OMFG you know what I did? I had

SYSTEM: Allow
Larry: Allow
Administrators: Allow

and I had
Everyone: Deny

:oops:

"Augie and Graham, you can both go down to the store. But everyone else, including you two, have to stay here."
Media Director

Postby NT50 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:34 pm

Next time export the bookmarks and then import them. It should have been that simple. I export mine every year on school computer and then format and import them without any hassle.
Dogs Have Owners; Cats Have Staff
PROfessional Member

Postby Grav!ty » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:41 pm

Where do you export them from Jeff? The File menu only has the ability to Import on 3.5.5 and I think also on 3.5.6. which Larry is using. To make it worse, one only has the option to Import from IE.

PROfessional Member

Postby phileysmiley » Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:21 pm

NT50 wrote:Next time export the bookmarks and then import them. It should have been that simple. I export mine every year on school computer and then format and import them without any hassle.

Grav!ty wrote:Where do you export them from Jeff? The File menu only has the ability to Import on 3.5.5 and I think also on 3.5.6. which Larry is using. To make it worse, one only has the option to Import from IE.

Exactly. There is no export option, only import. What I did do was to back up the whole computer, so I knew I had my profile saved on the external hard drive. I figured I'd done what I needed to do. But then I was not able to import them back into FF from the external drive. I would have been able to import them from IE to FF but I had no way to import them into IE either.

I did know where the profile folder was saved to (I've moved profiles before from FF to FF). The first problem was that I thought I needed to move it to the Application Data folder when I only needed to move it to the App Data folder. Once I solved that, the second problem was that I didn't realize I also had to move and replace the standalone ini file. Once I did that I was able to open FF with my old profile intact. :yesnod:
Media Director

Postby Grav!ty » Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:47 pm

This is a major shortcoming in Firefox in my opinion.

PROfessional Member

Postby Anthony.Ralph » Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:07 pm

Well, using Xmarks (was called FoxMarks) meant that I didn't have any of the hassle when going to W7 from Vista. I use it to synch favourites/bookmarks on both IE8 and Firebox on two separate computers.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/2410

Anthony
PRO New Member

Postby Grav!ty » Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:19 pm

Hey thank you very much Anthony. I'm going to install it right now :yesnod:

PROfessional Member

PreviousNext

Return to General Windows Support