A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Need help with file transfer from Vista to Windows 7

Need help with file transfer from Vista to Windows 7

Postby phileysmiley » Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:33 pm

Maybe I'm just tired but I'm unsure of how to do this.

I just did a clean install of Windows 7 Home Premium. Prior to doing so, I backed up all my files, settings, etc. on a Seagate external drive using the included software. Now I want to restore my files and, hopefully, my settings to the Windows 7 installation.

The instructions from Toshiba say:

# If you used Windows Easy Transfer from Microsoft to back up Windows files and settings, this would be a good time to migrate that data to the new Windows 7 installation. Windows Easy Transfer is included in Windows 7, so you can click 'Start' and type "easy" into the 'Search programs and files' box to find it, or browse through 'Start', 'All programs', 'Accessories', 'System Tools' and click on 'Windows Easy Transfer'.

# If you backed up data from before installing Windows 7, this would be a good time to restore that data to your laptop's hard disk. You can click 'Start' and type "restore" into the 'Search programs and files' box to find 'Backup and Restore', or browse through 'Start', 'Control Panel', 'System and Security', 'Backup and Restore'. From 'Backup and Restore', click 'Select another backup to restore files from' and follow the on-screen instructions.

Well, I obviously did not use Windows Easy Transfer so it didn't create an Easy Transfer file from which I can restore the data. But Windows 7's Backup and Restore utility doesn't recognize my external hard drive.

I can only think of 2 options: 1) install the Seagate software on W7 and use that to restore the data, or 2) manually copy the data.

The thing is, if use the Seagate software, I'd be restoring data that came from a Vista installation. Is this even possible?

If I copy the data manually, I know I can just copy files wherever I want. But what about settings? Can settings simply be copied over like pictures or music?

Thanks guys.
Media Director

Re: Need help with file transfer from Vista to Windows 7

Postby Grav!ty » Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:21 am

Manual data transfer is the best way to go anyway Larry, but the settings transfer I think will lead to problems with registry entries.

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby phileysmiley » Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:31 am

Grav!ty wrote:Manual data transfer is the best way to go anyway Larry, but the settings transfer I think will lead to problems with registry entries.

That's what I suspected. Okay, thanks! ^*^
Media Director

Postby NT50 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:33 am

As Grahms mentioned, manual data transfer is the best to do.
Dogs Have Owners; Cats Have Staff
PROfessional Member

Return to General Windows Support