A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Install Windows XP in Dual Boot with Pre-Installed Windows 7

Forum rules
Please start your own topic for support with problems you experience. Even if it appears to be exactly the same as someone else's problem, system configurations differ significantly. Thank you.

It may take our support staff between 24-48 hours to respond to your problem. We are a small business and strive to answer your questions as soon as possible. We appreciate your patience.

Re: Install Windows XP in Dual Boot with Pre-Installed Windows 7

Postby kumetys » Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:10 pm

Hi i want to ask somethink. I have 2 HDD. In One i have Windows 7 in second i have XP. My question is Does it possible to make choise menu like this ( cuz i always have to choise diferent hdd)
(photo responsible for shreader)

And if its possible how to make it :yesnod: THANKS
PRO New Member

Postby NT50 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:32 pm

Yes it is possbile using DualBootPro.
Check out the guide below.

Dual Boot Trouble Shooting Guide - XP / Windows 7 Running
Dogs Have Owners; Cats Have Staff
PROfessional Member

Postby mrbarasat » Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:02 pm

Hallo,
I have two Hard Disk one 80GB and one 500GB. First one has 4 partitions and 2nd one has 5 partitions.
I have xp pro sp3 installed in 1st partition of 1st Hard Drive and Win 7 Ultimate RTM installed in 5th partition
of 2nd drive. The win7 was the default OS. Now due to some reasons I again install xp sp3 on the 1st partition.
After that the dual booting option screen has disappeared. Also, I have lost windows 7 and cannot start it.
I have tried to edit boot.ini file but cannot insert the write line.The boot.ini file in xp is...

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

Pls help me to edit the boot.ini file and insert the correct entry so that windows7 can be launched.
I have Intel dual core, 2 gb ram...
PRO New Member

Postby NT50 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:34 pm

You cna not launch Windows 7 by editing the Boot.ini. Have you tried inserting the Win7 DVD and do a start-up repair. Sometimes it will take two trys to do this. Have you tried using our software DualBootPro?
Dogs Have Owners; Cats Have Staff
PROfessional Member

Postby ramonoliveirajp » Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:03 am

Hello everyone.
I have followed this tutorial to install windows xp with windows 7 already in. Everything was going ok, but when the system was rebooted after the first part of windows xp installation a message appears: "verifying dmi pool data" and nothing happens =/
What it could be?

Happy new year :lol:

see ya
PRO New Member

Postby Grav!ty » Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:35 am

It sounds like that message relates to SATA drivers ramonoliveirajp. You will need to find XP SATA/RAID drivers for your SATA controller and either load them during setup using the F6 function when prompted (if you have a floppy drive) or slipstream them into your XP CD using a free program called nLite.

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby ramonoliveirajp » Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:28 am

Hmm i got it. My motherboard is a GA-G31M-ES2 is it really necessary o.O ? I couldn't find on the site the link to download ;/
http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Moth ... uctID=2889
PRO New Member

Postby Grav!ty » Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:47 am

You can see if your BIOS will allow you to change the drive controller from SATA to IDE or to AHCI. Other than that, there are no alternatives to installing the F6 drivers. Check Intel's website for SATA/RAID drivers for the ICH7 Chipset if you cannot change the drive controller or if that doesn't work for you.

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby ramonoliveirajp » Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:06 am

Hmm ok ok I'll do that.
Another question is: when I'm in the installation of windows xp I can see the partitions and disks, is that normal with this problem? Do I really need this drivers with this situation?

see ya
PRO New Member

Postby Grav!ty » Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:15 am

You can try unplugging any unnecessary drives like removable ones or cards for removable drives. The dmi error can relate to any of your hardware and the only way to know what it is for sure, is to try to eliminate possibilities.

PROfessional Member

PreviousNext

Return to Windows Boot Problems